New York: General Motors Export Co., . 6.5 x 8.75 inches, 30 pp, original stapled wrappers, with a map and many illustrations from photographs. Owner’s signature at bottom of title page, edgewear and a few short tears to wrappers; very good. A lively account of Lowell Thomas’s journey through Afghanistan in a six-cylinder Buick specially outfitted to carry racks of photographic equipment and extra gasoline. On the final page, Thomas is quoted as declaring the Buick’s performance “one hundred percent perfect” throughout “one of the most remarkable feats of endurance ever accomplished by any motor car.” That said, the uncredited author is not overly concerned with the car (although there is a point where the vehicle is “wrenched, twisted, and shaken until it seemed it must break in two”), instead focusing on the more colorful details of Afghan life and scenery and the dangers encountered by travelers unprotected from “natives with accurate rifle-aim and sensitive trigger fingers,” who are “a bloodthirsty lot.” The party traveled over the Khyber Pass (then under British control), into Afghanistan, where they had been granted special permission by the Amir to make a documentary film. They visited Dekka, Jellalabad, and Kabul, and each place is described in some detail, as is their visit to the royal palace. They see “water-carriers, fakirs, hook-nosed money-lenders, coffee-sipping merchants,” and “wild tribesmen from every corner of Central Asia” who, although savage, had “a proud bearing and a self-respecting independence.” There are descriptions of exotic food and clothing, sandstorms, punishing heat, and perilous roads. The “pathetically secluded lives” and inferior treatment of women are noted with disapproval. Western prejudices notwithstanding, this is a very readable and interesting narrative. We locate just one copy in OCLC, at the Revs Institute in Florida.
Refine search resultsSkip to search results
Fifty original black and white photographs, ranging in size from 4 x 5 inches to 8 x 12 inches, the majority being ca. 8 x 10 inches. Hubbard is in 37 of the images, the rest show landscapes and people encountered on his expeditions, and we presume these were taken by him. Many are publicity photos with typed captions (some quite detailed) affixed to the back; others have handwritten captions. Many are stamped "Received by the Examiner Reference Library" with the date of receipt, others are stamped simply "Father Bernard Hubbard." Nearly all date from the 1920s and 1930s. Several have been used for publication and trimmed or touched up for that purpose. BBernard R. Hubbard was a Jesuit priest, explorer, photographer, and lecturer who did much to familiarize Americans with the beauty of the Alaska and the lives of the region’s native peoples. Born in San Francisco in 1888, Hubbard studied at several West Coast colleges and universities before heading to Austria, where he was ordained as a priest and also became enamored of the mountains. After seeing him head off on climbing expeditions in every spare moment, his fellow theology students dubbed him “Der Gletscher Pfaffer” (The Glacier Priest), a sobriquet he would adopt proudly for the rest of his days. Though his "day job" was head of the Department of Geology at Santa Clara University, for nearly 30 years Hubbard conducted annual summer expeditions to Alaska and the Arctic. He funded this work (and also supported Catholic missions in Alaska) by touring the country upon his return, delivering lectures--illustrated with photographs and film he shot himself--to large and enthusiastic audiences. Although his expeditions had scientific and anthropologic goals, scholars have generally pronounced them to be of little scientific consequence. Nonetheless, Hubbard had charm, showmanship, and photographic talent on his side. According to historian Mary Jane Miller (Screening Culture, p. 115), “Hubbard became a household name after his experiences and photographs were published in the Saturday Evening Post in 1932. By 1937, he was the highest paid lecturer in the United States.” The photos in this archive capture a man who clearly enjoyed the spotlight and valued being seen as both a rugged outdoorsman and a man of God. We see him scaling rock walls, cooking over a campfire, and posing with sled dogs and ice axes, while other images show him dressed in full vestments, saying mass in remote valleys in the Aleutian Islands. There are images of the glaciers and volcanoes he explored, but also of the "Christ of the Bering Sea," a bronze statue purchased by Hubbard and erected on King's Island (which, according to the caption "was selected because of its location between Siberia and Alaska, and because its inhabitants are all Roman Catholic"). As a whole, this collection nicely captures the public persona of a man whose sense of adventure and ability to share his enthusiasm combined bring the American public a new appreciation of the wonders of the Alaskan wilderness.
Dyea, AK: Trail Printing Company, 1898. Volume 1, Numbers. 3, 7, and 8. Each 8 pp, 11 x 15 inches, with horizontal fold at center. Light toning, a few chips and short tears to the margins; very good. The Dyea Trail was founded on January 12, 1898, by George T. Ulmer, whose brother, Charles, published several newspapers in Washington State. As one of the salt water ports closest to the Klondike, Dyea was abuzz with activity at the time, with thousands of stampeders landing there to pick up the Chilkoot Trail to the gold fields. The weekly Dyea Trail carried almost exclusively local news and reports of developments in other parts of the Pacific Northwest that would be of interest to miners. These three issues include a graphic account of the town's first serious fire, a report on Chilkoot Trail conditions and their effect on the cost of getting to the Yukon, details of new regulations on the importation of merchandise to the Klondike, and an article on the anticipated arrival of 500 Norwegian reindeer that were to carry relief supplies to starving miners in Dawson. Shorter entries note the arrival of steamships, eviction of claim jumpers, opening of new businesses, social club meetings, etc. Each issue also carries dozens of advertisements for local real estate, restaurants, saloons, hotels, banks, pack trains, outfitters, and more. Despite this abundance of advertisers, Ulmer apparently found the newspaper business unsustainable, for it was not long before he had loaded up his press and moved to Juneau. The exact date of the paper's demise is uncertain, but in a February 1899 issue of the trade journal Printer's Ink, it was declared "now dead." Dyea itself would all but disappear within another year, after the opening of the White Pass & Yukon Route Railway made Skagway the starting point for nearly all trips to the gold fields.
Firenze: Pineider e Smorti Litografi-Editori. Undated, but ca. 1872. Accordion-folded, color-lithographed map in 29 panels, unfolding to an impressive 14 feet, 8 inches (450 cm) in length. Folded into cloth-backed boards (6.5 x 10.25 inches, oblong), with mounted paper labels printed in red and blue. Lithographed view of the town Susa on front pastedown and city of Torino on rear Light rubbing to boards, occasional very light foxing; very good. This lovely panoramic map follows the 64-mile railroad route between Modene, France and Turin, Italy via the Fréjus Rail Tunnel, which runs 8.5 miles and opened to traffic in September 1871. The rear cover features an illustration of two men working a pneumatic drilling machine--a recent technical innovation that made it possible to complete the tunnel in 14 years, rather than 25, as originally planned. The map shows details of topography as the railroad winds its way through the mountains, loosely following the path of the Dora Riparia River. Along the margins are 25 small lithographed views of villages, train stations, bridges, and sights along the route.
Twelve views, each with original printed label on the back. Undated, but likely 1860s. All with light to moderate foxing; good. Adolphe Braun (1812-1877) was an influential French photographer who pioneered Alpine photography. His "perilous expeditions in the high mountains produced large-format landscapes of the Swiss Alps that appealed to the scientific community and tourists alike. These images document a natural landscape undergoing rapid change as a result of industrialization and a changing climate. To this day, they remain some of the most striking pictures ever taken of Alpine scenery" (Münchner Stadtmuseum). This group of views includes three shots of climbers or hikers (one including a woman, another with a landscape painter at work), one of an alpine hotel, and one of a hikers' hut, where less prosperous climbers would have stayed. The others show a variety of aspects of the alpine landscape, primarily in Switzerland.
[Buenos Aires, Argentina]: Arrufana, Garrido, Ortiz & Cia. 1895. 4.75 x 7 inches, oblong. Unpaginated, but 40 leaves, with 39 photographic images on the rectos and 36 advertisements printed in cyan on the versos. Pebbled red cloth stamped in blind, titles in blind and gilt on the upper board. Boards, corners, and edges quite rubbed and worn with loss to the gilt, rear hinge starting, and a little damp-staining to the page edges internally. Nonetheless, good and sound. Arrufana, Garrido, Ortiz was an importer with offices in Buenos Aires throughout the 1890s. This company give-away (the cover title translates as "compliments of the house") features images of Argentina and other South American locales, from the august municipal buildings and broad boulevards of Buenos Aires to bridges, ports, railroads, factories, marketplaces, mule packs, bathing spots, washer women, plantations, historical ruins, mountain ranges, rock formations, waterfalls, and more. The advertisers include an array of manufacturers and purveyors of goods and services, most based in Buenos Aires. The advertisements themselves were printed using a variety of typefaces, decorative borders, and flourishes, as well as what appear to be both stock and custom wood engravings.
[Florence, AZ]: Florence Chamber of Commerce. Undated, c. 1925.  pp, with many b/w illustrations from photographs. Chipping and short tears to wrappers, old dampstain affecting wrappers and last two leaves, text otherwise clean. This scarce pamphlet promotes the benefits coming to the Florence Valley (along the Gila River in central Arizona) from the San Carlos Irrigation Project. According to the Historic American Engineering Record, "the San Carlos Irrigation Project is historically significant for creating an integrated irrigation system to serve both Indian and non-Indian lands along the Gila River. Prior to project construction, irrigation of area lands was piecemeal and non-Indian agricultural development above the Gila River Indian Reservation depleted water supplies for native communities. Native communities and people suffered increased water shortages as non-Indian settlements grew along the river above Pima lands during the latter half of the nineteenth century. The passage of the San Carlos Act on June 7, 1924 culminated years of studies and efforts to develop water storage on the Gila River and restore water to Pima Indian communities." While this booklet does note proudly that "Indians and Whites will share equally," its main emphasis, not surprisingly, is on attracting new settlement to Florence, the largest city within the Project's boundaries. Extolling Pinal County as a "storehouse of riches," it describes existing agricultural enterprises and natural resources, a school "as fine as the west offers," and sunshine and pure air with curative powers "known from coast to coast." Land values "will never be so low again," and "the time to buy is NOW!"
Coconino County Immigration Commissioner and Flagstaff Chamber of Commerce. Undated, ca. 1930. Single sheet, 8.5 x 14 inches, folding into a four-panel brochure with text and illustrations from photographs on both sides. Light handling wear; very good. Promotional brochure for what was then, and still is, the second-largest county in the United States, covering more than 18,000 square miles in north central Arizona. Although admitting that "big scale farming has not made a success in this country" and that crop production in the region is limited by "the lack of moisture and the shortness of the growing season," the writer nonetheless encourages the small farmer who can't afford anything better to give it a try. Your crops may fail, by the climate is good for your health and you can visit the Grand Canyon!
Tempe, AZ: The News Publishing Company, 1897. Volume VI, No. 156. 7.5 x 11.5 inches, 4 pp. Old folding creases, some splitting at intersections; good. An early issue of this afternoon daily, which was founded in 1887, when the town had a population of 400, and published through 1943. It carried both national and local news and local advertising. This issue reports on the progress of a train robbery investigation, failing banks in Minnesota, a coal miners' strike in Wheeling, West Virginia and another likely in Ouray, Colorado, and a "lion-hunting party," preparing to "operate on the ranges in the neighborhood of Silver King where the depredations of these animals is very great. Stockmen say that it is almost impossible to raise a colt in this section." Classified ads seek information on stray cattle, give notice that "any person found unlawfully handling any stock bearing my brand will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law," and offer a variety of services, including veterinary surgeon and dentist, dressmaking "at eastern prices," bicycle rental, and a "guaranteed tobacco habit cure." One-hundred sixty acres of land under the Tempe Canal are offered for $750.
Printed by the Compton Litho. Company, St. Louis. Trade card, 3 1/4 x 5 1/8 inches. Undated, but 1880s. Some light rubbing to image, one tiny corner crease; very good. This uncommon and attractive card invites inquiries "for full and complete information touching on the products of Arkansas, her climate, soil, timber, mineral lands, etc." It was issued by two land agents of the St. Louis, Iron Mountain, and Southern Railway (which ran between St. Louis and Texarkana) and may have been distributed at any one of several expositions where the State of Arkansas proudly exhibited its agricultural bounty in the 1880s. The Boston Public Library holds a slight variant on this card that specifically directs interested parties to the Arkansas Exhibit at the New Orleans Centennial Exposition of 1884. Railroads were essential to the economic recovery of the post-Civil War South. Seeking to increase the amount of traffic they carried, the railroads actively promoted diversification in agriculture, encouraging people to come to Arkansas and grow new crops--among them the luscious fruits shown on this card.
Fort Smith, AR: Loumar Service Syndicate, 1925. 5.25 x 7.5 inches, 150 pp +  page advertising insert on colored paper at center, with ca. 15 detail maps in the text and a folding map (17 x 17 inches) tipped in at the front showing all itineraries described in the book, with ad for Cook and Border Motor Co., “The Largest Garage in Northwest Arkansas” (in Eureka Springs) on verso. Illustrated wrappers, lightly soiled and creased, with some small chips; internally very good. One copy located in OCLC, in the Central Arkansas Library System. Although the motto on the front cover, “Loumar Logs Show the Better Ways” suggests a series, this appears to have been the one and only publication of the Loumar Service Syndicate. That’s a shame, because this is a fine little guide. It offers mile-by-mile driving instructions (e.g., “Road forks. Take left fork down grade. Right fork leads to State Sanitorium for Tubercular Patients” or “CAUTION: Start down mountain. Narrow, winding road—sound horn for blind curves. DRIVE CAREFULLY. Note view of Paris in distance in the North”) for more than 35 automobile driving routes, primarily in Arkansas, but also in Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, and Texas. For each town along a route, the guide offers handy facts (demographics, climate, scenery, points of interest), notes service stations, and recommends restaurants and lodging when available. These descriptions, as well as the display advertising, make this an invaluable source of information about long-forgotten businesses in dozens of tiny towns throughout the region.
Clothbound album with leather spine and corners, 12 x 16 inches (oblong), containing 168 photographs and 19 postcards mounted on both sides of 26 thick cardstock leaves. Most images are 4 x 6 inches and black and white; approximately 15% are smaller, and of these 14 are hand colored. Most are captioned in the negative in English. Album spine partially re-covered in cloth tape, corners rubbed. Binding sound, pages and images clean. Very good. An uncommonly nice collection of sharp, well-composed images showing the local people, villages, shops and markets, urban and rural landscapes, architecture, and shrines and temples, monuments of Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Cambodia, Vietnam, Thailand, Java, Bali, China, Korea, and Japan. Scenes of devastation in the Zhabei neighborhood of Shanghai date the album to the 1930s, and most likely to shortly after the second Sino-Japanese War (1937). The majority (104) of the images appear to be by a single skilled photographer -- probably one who traveled with a cruise ship, documenting the sights along the way and selling images to passengers at the end. Additional uncaptioned images from a few locations (Angkor Wat, Peking) indicate the traveler who assembled the album purchased some commercial photographs locally as well. Among the many interesting sights captured are street scenes and Chinese residences in Malacca; Singapore's harbor and Chinatown; canals and boat traffic in Saigon and Bangkok, a bird vendor in Java; temples, small towns, and ritual dancing in Bali; the harbor, streets, and bombed out areas of Shanghai; the bustling streets of Seoul; street vendors in Peking; the Forbidden City; a Chinese funeral procession; and street scenes, shops, gardens, and shrines in Miyajima, Kyoto, Nara, and Nikko, Japan. The final pages of the album include a birds-eye view of Honolulu and street scenes in Honolulu and Havana. We have found no published or digital examples of any of the images taken by the primary photographer represented here. Please refer to our website for a larger selection of sample images.
Fred Hess & Son; Atlantic Foto Service, et al. . 45 black and white photographs, of which 35 are ca. 8 x 10 inches, the remainder snapshot-sized. Many are linen-backed and nearly all in very good condition or better, a few with creasing or small chips. Thirteen negatives are also included. Most photos are credited in the negative to one of two prominent Atlantic City photography studios—Fred Hess & Son and Atlantic Foto Service. During the first half of the twentieth century, Atlantic City, New Jersey was one of America’s most popular vacation destinations. Following the model of British beach resorts, Atlantic City’s developers began in the 1880s to construct long piers extending off the Boardwalk, where visitors could stroll, dine, and enjoy games, rides, concerts, shows, and other amusements. The greatest of these was Steel Pier, which was constructed in 1898 and at various times dubbed “An Amusement City at Sea,” “A Vacation in Itself,” and “The Showplace of the Nation.” After fire damaged the pier in 1924, a local real estate investor and showman named Frank Gravatt purchased the structure and set about renovating it and adding new attractions. He expanded the exhibit space at the pier’s entrance to 20,000 square feet and leased it to General Motors, who used it to showcase their latest models—which were still enough of a novelty to draw large crowds when the exhibit opened in 1926. The images in this archive document the extensive renovation of Steel Pier in progress, showing workmen, equipment, and different stages of the job (both exterior and interior) over a two-month period. There are also photos of the installed General Motors Exhibit, the pier at night, and crowds on the pier and beach after the renovations were completed. The majority of the images are stamped on the back with the name of Philadelphia architect William F.B. Koelle, who was commissioned to build “The Home of the Century” – a model home filled with state-of-the art appliances and furnishings—on the Pier in 1936. Although we have not found any published report of Koelle having been involved in the 1926 renovations, this collection suggests that may have been the case. Koelle had a well-documented interest in the automobile industry, and there are three photos in this archive of drawings signed by Koelle that show slightly different concepts for signage on the General Motors Exhibit and other businesses along the pier. Koelle also operated as a general contractor and may have done so for this job. In any case, the collection offers valuable visual documentation for the history of this important American tourist destination.
New York: Johnson and Ward, 1866. Folio (ca. 14.5 x 18.5 inches), 131 pp (text) + table of distances and one ad page, 105 maps and plates (complete). Original green cloth boards with leather spine and corners, gilt lettering and seal of the United States on upper board, marbled endpapers. Light rubbing to extremities, old tape repairs to title page, two maps (Ohio and Pennsylvania) split at centerfold, one with tiny loss, otherwise a very nice copy, clean and sound, with bright hand coloring throughout. First published in 1860, Johnson’s Family Atlas was revised repeatedly as the growth of the railroads and the exploration and settlement of the West made updated maps a necessity. This post-Civil War edition includes the “Map of the Vicinity of Richmond and Peninsular Campaign in Virginia.” The double-page “New Map of the State of Texas” shows county development to the eastern border of the panhandle, with the vast western portion of the state divided only into the regions of Presidio, El Paso, and Bexar. Nebraska, Dakota Territory, Idaho, and Montana are shown on one double-page map, with Idaho taking up much of what is now western Wyoming and all of western Nebraska labeled as “Mauvaises Terres or Bad Lands covered with stinted grass.” The entire continents of South America, Africa, and Australia receive just one double-page map each. European countries are shown individually, and Asia is covered by six maps (an overview of the continent; Palestine; Turkey and the Middle East; India--with Burma, Laos, and Siam; China; and Japan).
Syracuse, NY: Franklin Automobile Company, 1914. Approximately 6 x 9 inches, 16 pp, with half-tone illustrations in the text. Stapled wrappers. But for a previous owner's ink stamp in purple ink on both the upper wrap and title page, the pamphlet is fine, clean, and bright. Not found in OCLC. An early study of fuel economy, using "certified tests, all runs on the same day, different cars, different drivers, different weather and road conditions." On May 1, 1914, the Franklin Automobile Company dispatched 94 Franklin Six-Thirties from dealerships across the U.S. and Canada--each with exactly one gallon of gas in its tank--to be driven until the tank was empty, with the aim of going as far as possible (coasting was allowed). The distance traveled was then measured, telegraphed back to headquarters, and tallied. Captured herein are extracts from local news reports, technical details of both the vehicles and the testing regimen, and verbatim excerpts from a number of the rather breathless reports. Also included are the result of each run, including the city, dealer name, distance traveled, and the weather ("warm and fair in Southern California," "twelve inches of snow in the upper peninsula of Michigan"). The Milwaukee dealership brought home the win with a startling 51.2 mpg, but even the average of 31.2 mpg was considered a rousing success, setting "a new high mark in efficiency and economy" and offering "proof positive of the...real worth of the Franklin Car."
[Dearborn, MI]: Ford Motor Company, 1971. Two three-ring binders made for participants in the Forum (with titles printed in English and Russian), containing a total of 121 professional black and white photographs ranging in size from 3.5 x 4 inches to 5.75 x 7.75 inches, as well as some related ephemera: menus from dinners at Ford Headquarters and at the Washington Hilton (where the Russians were served blinis with caviar and sour cream), a White House visitor’s pass, a miniature Soviet flag, a one-ruble note, and a bilingual program for the forum. All in very good condition or better. In November 1971, the Ford Motor Company hosted a delegation of eleven Russian engineers and government officials for a ten-day exchange of technical information about automobile design and production. The program included visits to Ford engineering, manufacturing, and assembly facilities in Michigan, Ohio, and Kentucky; a trip to the Detroit Auto Show; and a two-day sightseeing excursion to Washington, D.C. The previous year, Henry Ford II had visited the Russia at the request of the Soviet Ministry of Science and Technology. The Soviets presented Ford with a proposal to build an enormous truck factory there. Ford gave the project serious consideration, but reluctantly bowed out when pressured by the American government. U.S. Defense Secretary Melvin Laird argued against the project on the grounds that the new trucks would find their way to North Vietnam. But the Soviets believed there was more strategic motive – that the U.S. was trying to keep them in a state of perpetual economic underdevelopment. This was probably true, and the U.S. also would have been concerned that a large fleet of new and better trucks would strengthen the Soviet military. Nonetheless, Ford maintained an interest in doing business with the Soviet Union, hoping to be part of any trade that developed between East and West. Knowing that their interactions with the Soviets were perceived by many as unpatriotic or even dangerous, Ford issued no press releases about their technical exchange forum and flew their visitors to Washington on a private plane to avoid press attention. The Detroit News—possibly the only newspaper to get the scoop—reported that “Ford tried to avoid any publicity on the visit out of fear of some embarrassing demonstrations.” Due to this circumspection, relatively little information Is available about this unusual Cold War-era visit. This archive helps to fill in some of the long-forgotten details. Photo show each stage of the visit, including various meetings, seminars, and receptions; tours and demonstrations at the Livonia Transmission Plant, Reliability Testing Laboratory, Ohio Turbine Plant, Cleveland Engine Plant, Woodhaven Stamping Plant, Kentucky Truck Plant, and other Ford facilities; and visits to the Henry Ford Museum, Detroit Auto Show, and the White House, Smithsonian, Capitol Building, etc. Although the Ford Company was hesitant to publicize their continuing exchange of information with the Soviets, they surely had the support least some faction of the Nixon Administration; without it, the visit would not have happened—and they certainly would not have brought the Russians to the White House. In this respect, the material in this archive offers important documentation of the beginning of “Détente”—a period of improved relations between the United States and the Soviet Union that would emerge more fully the following year, when President Nixon visited Leonid Brezhnev in Moscow and the first SALT (Strategic Arms Limitation Talks) treaty was signed.
Columbus, OH: Columbus Buggy Co. Undated, but likely 1912. 3.5 x 6.25 inches,  pp., in original stapled wrappers. Ink stamp of Pastre's Auto Garage, Brooklyn, on front cover, one gathering loose from staples; very good. Not found in OCLC. The Columbus Buggy Company began producing electric automobiles in 1903. Promoting their vehicles as quieter and easier to handle than those of their competitors in Detroit, the company made a concerted effort to target female drivers. This advertising booklet takes the form of a fictional diary, in which nineteen-year-old Betty takes a trip to visit her cousin Jane, who "always provides such good fun!" and just happens to own a Columbus electric coupe. The girls have the kind of fun girls do (shopping and dining out with other girls), and all the while Betty is increasingly taken with the ease of auto travel ("It's such a dear and jolly good time it provides--the convenience--the real luxury of it all!). And what a lucky girl she turns out to be. Her birthday soon comes and she is given her very Columbus Electric Model 1230 Four-Passenger Coupe! This model is illustrated at the end of the booklet, as are several others, identified by their model names, but also as "Jane's Coupe," "Miriam's Runabout" and "Barbara Lewis' Car." Alas, the fun was over soon enough, as the Columbus Buggy Company went bankrupt and was out of business by 1915.
Boston: Loring, 1870. First Edition. 87 pp, in original printed wrappers. Light soiling, a few small chips; very good. A didactic novel meant to inspire young men to choose farming as a career. The story follows the lives of two new Harvard graduates, Charley, who returns to his country roots to be a farmer, and Fred, who comes from a wealthy family and becomes a lawyer. Fred advises Charley not to “bury your brilliant talents in a corn-field or a compost heap” and urges him to study law and pursue a political career. Five years later, however, we find Fred alone and barely making a living, while Charley has married his high school sweetheart and become a respected pillar of his community. The lesson is that returning to the land of his birth gives Charley “a framework to bind together and family and work, personal happiness and communal stability. Living outside such a context, on the other hand, was a recipe for personal and ultimately financial failure” (Johnson, Countryside in the Age of the Modern State, p. 25). Bland, a Quaker who had served as a medical doctor in the Union Army, published The Northwestern Farmer ("a superb magazine of rural life devoted to agriculture, horticulture, rural economy, home improvement, and family reading," according to an ad at the end of this book) and later became head of the National Indian Defence Association.
Joinville, Santa Catarina, Brasil: Foto Mario Prugner. Undated; likely 1960s. Oblong photo album, 7.5 x 11 inches, flexible green vinyl with titles stamped in gilt on the upper board; with 33 original photographs mounted to both sides of 17 thick cardstock leaves, interleaved throughout with patterned tissue guards. Each photo has a printed caption. The first tissue guard is creased and chipped, the terminal leaf shows a few minor spots of soiling and dampstaining, else about fine. Since the sixteenth century, the Paraná pine (Araucaria angustifolia) has been prized as Brazil's "most important timber tree." But technical advances in commercial logging and milling, combined with encroaching agriculture and non-native timber plantations, led to the loss of 97% of the tree's native habitat in just three tree generations in the twentieth century. Those advances are in full display in the comprehensive photo essay in this album, which is captioned in English and clearly intended as a marketing appeal to American and European consumers and investors. Company pride shines through in every photo, from the views of the soaring and majestic forests to the felled "giants" and beyond. We follow the logging, milling, transport, and shipping process from forest floor to saw mill to tanker ship. The equipment and facilities are modern, spotless, and ferociously efficient.
Trenton, NJ: John A. Roebling's Sons Company, . 4 5/8 x 6 1/4 inches,  pp, with 12 illustrations from photographs. Original pictorial string-tied wrappers. Some offsetting to two pages, else fine. This scarce promotional booklet details how the "the greatest piece of engineering of modern times" was designed and constructed, provides physical specifications and statistics about its use (45,542,627 passengers "carried over by rail" in 1897 alone), and also describes the Roebling plant in Trenton, which at that time occupied 36 buildings on 20 acres and employed 2,500 people.
[San Francisco]: ca. 1891. 7 x 11 inches (oblong),  pp, with 25 full-page, half-tone photographic illustrations.Original string-tied embossed wrappers with ties replaced; mild toning to wraps, else fine. Rare promotional book for a luxury hotel destroyed in the San Francisco earthquake and fire of 1906. The California opened for business in 1890 under the management of experienced hotelier A.F. Kinzler, billing itself as "unquestionably the most beautifully and luxuriously furnished hotel in America" and the first on the West Coast to compare favorably to the grand hotels of New York. The eight-story stone structure was entirely paneled in a variety of polished woods on the inside. It included a first-class restaurant with tiled floor and mirrored walls; music room with frescoed dome; gentleman's reading room with Moorish arches and "Oriental" decor; billiard room; wine room; smoking room; and ladies' conservatory, "where tropical plants and rare flowers abound." Notwithstanding its claim to be "positively fire-proof," the California burned to the ground in the aftermath of the earthquake. This well-illustrated booklet offers valuable documentation of the hotel's interior, as well as a birds-eye view of the city with the hotel at the center. The text gives details about its planning and construction, and there are also many interesting advertisements, particularly for luxury goods and wine and spirits. One copy found in OCLC, at the Bancroft.
Chicago: American Photogravure Company, 1887. First Edition. 10 x 12 inches, in original three-quarter leather and pebbled cloth, rebacked with most of original spine laid down. 22 pages of text and 65 tissue-guarded photogravures of scenes in and around Los Angeles. LOOK IN DAILEY for text. Cowan, p. 397; Rocq 3247.
Los Angeles: Arroyo Guild Press, 1909. First and only issue published. pp. 67, XV, [i] (ads) + illustrations. Two tiny tears to wrappers; still a fine copy. The Arroyo Craftsman was intended as to serve as the mouthpiece of the Arroyo Guild, a loose association of Los Angeles-area artisans founded by James and artist William Lees Judson. As James explains here, members of the Guild "will plan your home whether it be a palace or a bungalow; they will design its every detail; the stained glass, the wall and ceiling decorations, the carpets, the furniture...and all will be done with that rational, systematic harmony which comes of experience and expert knowledge. All these things are made by the craftsmen of the Guild with their own hands, in their own workshops, or under the personal direction of their own designers." The Guild also included landscape architects, printers and book binders, and makers of ceramic tiles, baskets, pottery, jewelry, etc. Although Arroyo Craftsman folded after just one issue (probably because the "Guild" lacked any real organization), as historian Kevin Starr explains, it remains important for "its expression of the Arroyan ideal: the spiritualization of daily life through an aestheticism tied to crafts and local materials....Southern California, James asserted, was destined to become the great center of aesthetic expression in America. In that rise to aesthetic prominence, no art would be more important than the art of domestic living" (Inventing the Dream, pp. 111-112).
Guben: F. Fechner, n.d., but circa 1850s. 4.5 x 6.75 inches, pp. , 39, with hand-colored frontis and seven additional hand-colored plates. Original paper-covered boards printed in gilt and green, boards rubbed and a bit faded, paper cracked at the lower rear joint, text pages (but not illustrations) with old dampstaining; good. This Gold Rush-era children's book recounts a trip around the Horn with plenty of derring-do along the way (shipwrecked slave ships, daring rescue attempts, stops in romantic ports of call), culminating in wealth, health, and happiness for all in the Land of Gold. Although frequently cataloged as proceeding from the pen of Clara de Chatelain, who wrote frequently under the pseudonym of Leopold Wray, it appears that the translator here was a Leopold Wray in his very own right, and not a figment of Mrs. de Chatelain's imagination. (Not only does translating German not appear to have been one of de Chatelain's numerous talents, several early bibliographies list the work straightforwardly as Dr. Dietrich's, and we find evidence of another work from the German translated by Wray). Kurutz (194) writes: "This illustrated juvenile book tells the story of Fred and his family and their adventures on the voyage to California. His father joined the American Emigration Company in 1851. Much of the plot centers around the slave trade. The last three chapters cover California, including the aftermath of a lynching and an attempted robbery. In the last chapter, Fred hands a miner a divining rod and gold is discovered." See also Cowan p. 169.
San Francisco: United States Farm Land Co., . Single sheet, 18 x 24 inches, folded to form a 4 x 9 inch brochure, with cover image of a bucolic farming scene printed in full color. On one side of the sheet are twelve panels of text and b/w images from photographs. On the verso is a three-color map of California showing the location of United States Farm Land Co. holdings, as well as two smaller plat maps, one of the Chowchilla Ranch, and the other of the City of Chowchilla. Some archival reinforcements, small losses at intersections; good. Two copies located in OCLC (Yale, CHS). The United States Farm Land Company was founded in 1910 by Orlando Alison Robertson, an experienced land speculator from Minnesota. Robertson purchased the Chowchilla Ranch—a 108,000 acre tract located in the San Joaquin Valley—in 1912, and promptly had it surveyed and divided into tracts for sale to farmers, preserving the northeast corner of the property as a town site. After creating 300 miles of roads, installing a town water system, and building a large hotel, Robertson launched an aggressive marketing campaign. This brochure assures prospective farmers that they “need have no concerns whatever about an abundant supply of water” (groundwater being close to the surface and electricity readily available) and shows off the agricultural bounty of the valley, which produces peaches, apricots, grapes, olives, citrus fruits, almonds, and berries, as well as a steady crop of alfalfa to support the feeding of hogs, cattle, and horses. Robertson set October 15, 1912 as grand opening day for his colonization project. According to the City of Chowchilla website, “some 4,000 people responded to the invitation to look over the new land, see the rodeo and partake of the free barbecue lunch,” and many of them became buyers.