Camden, NJ: Victor Talking Machine Company, 1920. 5 x 7.25 inches, 38 pp, with halftone photographic illustrations. Soiling and some loss to front wrapper, one signature loose from staples; good. 4 copies located in OCLC. This promotional booklet for the Victor Talking Machine Company argues for the use of music to help recent immigrants assimilate into American society. The author was hired in 1911 to head Victor's new educational department, which aimed to develop music appreciation among the American public generally. Here she asserts that "a great movement is now sweeping the country to bring securely into the fold of American citizenry our adopted brothers from other lands -- to make firm and lasting ties that bind them to their new homeland." Traditional American music can forge those bonds, for "nothing is more unifying and democratic than the group singing of old familiar and patriotic songs." The book delves into the history of American popular music and dance, and includes suggested songs. Victor record numbers are conveniently provided next to each reference, so the newly appreciative public may listen for themselves.
Refine search resultsSkip to search results
Grand Rapids and Des Moines: The Central Publishing Co. and H. Parmelee Library Company, 1880, 1887. Two volumes, 5.25 x 7 inches, in flexible black cloth boards with library name stamped in blind, patterned endpapers; bound with metal rivets. The original 1880 title page and text have been specially bound with an additional title page from the Parmelee Library Company (dated 1887) and advertisements (for corsets, dress stays, and a variety of patent medicines and medical devices) not present in the orignal edition. Boards worn, cloth frayed or soiled in spots, spine labels lacking, but internally quite sound; a good set. Founded in 1882, the H. Parmalee Library Company of Des Moines, Iowa aimed to provide "a thoroughly equipped and permanent library in every town and hamlet in America." Paid subscriptions entitled the residents of a town or members of a club to the use of a rotating selection of 1000 volumes. These were divided into sections of 50 volumes each that were distributed to 20 different towns and exchanged at the end of three months. The extra title page on Volume II of this particular set has been filled out to indicate its use by an association in Cedar Bluffs, Nebraska. Regarding the text, Adams (Six-Guns 98) says it "contains some minor material on road agents and the vigilantes of Montana," while Graff (121) says "the author's accounts of his own adventures are almost wholly imaginary."
Two albums (quarter-leather, 8.75 x 12 inches), containing a total of 63 professional black and white photographs, most 7 x 10 inches. Each album has a printed title page ("Welcome to Tunisia" and "Economic Cooperation in Tunisia") followed by photographs tipped in one to a page (rectos only). The "Welcome" album has a printed list of captions at the end. Some rubbing to spines, three leaves loose and laid in, just a few images with creasing or chipping to the edges; very good. In December 1959, President Dwight D. Eisenhower embarked on an eleven-nation "Flight to Peace" goodwill tour, travelling 22,000 miles by air in 19 days. The tour took the President to Rome, Ankara, Karachi, Kabul, New Delhi, Tehran, Athens, Tunis, Madrid, and Casablanca. These albums commemorate the stop in Tunisia and were likely sent to members of his party upon their return to the U.S. There are shots of Eisenhower, Richard and Pat Nixon, Tunisian President Habib Bourguiba, and other officials greeting crowds, touring a farm and a factory, and looking generally delighted as they discuss matters of diplomacy. Many of the images highlight aspects of Tunisian history and tradition, architecture, culture, agriculture, and industrial and commercial development. We see fisherman working their nets, laborers picking cotton, a tannery, a demonstration of the Tunisian national dance, women in traditional dress, men playing drums and riding camels, artisans at work carving plaster and weaving mats, mosques and Roman ruins. But we also see a city street bustling with auto traffic, a modern food-processing plant, construction work on a large infrastructure project, well-drilling apparatus, and other signs that Tunisia is a forward-thinking, developing nation. By most accounts, Eisenhower's tour was a success. According to biographer P.G. Boyle, it "not only made Eisenhower re-asses the value of personal diplomacy, but it also convinced him to a greater extent of the need to assist Third-World countries." Tunisia had been receiving aid from the U.S. since 1957, and no doubt officials were keen to demonstrate that progress was being made, and the flow of aid should continue. We find no examples of these albums recorded in OCLC.
Salt Lake City: The Utahnian Publishing Company, 1896. Volume 1, Number 21. 9 x 12 inches, 16 pp, stapled binding. Front wrapper partially detached from staples, light soiling, a few short tears. Very good. A single issue of this short-lived weekly, edited by the eccentric journalist and political firebrand Pat Donan. Historian Philip D. Jordan, in one of the few academic articles about Donan, described him as "a fire-breathing and psychotic unreconstructed rebel" and "elusive fugitive from history" about whom little is known, although his "madcap adventures appeared frequently in the public press and his pamphlets were read by thousands." A native of Mississippi, Donan is believed to have served in the Confederate Army before becoming a prolific writer, editor, and publisher. In the 1870s, he edited publications in St. Joseph, Missouri (The Vindicator); Lexington, Missouri (The Caucasian); Raleigh, North Carolina (The Sentinel); and Bentonville, Arkansas (The Advance). In the 1880s, he headed west to Dakota Territory, where he edited the Black Hills Pioneer and became an ardent booster of the West, publishing promotional pamphlets--some commissioned by railroads--on Dakota, Utah, eastern Oregon, the Columbia River area, British Columbia, and Alaska. The Utahnian, which was founded by Donan and published for less than a year, is characterized by an odd combination of political grandstanding ("One year of McKinley and Markhanna goldbuggery in full swing willl do more to open the eyes of an asinine people than forty years of stump-spouting and campaign writing"; "Grover Cleveland is the assassin of democracy") and land promotion. In this issue, the first three pages are devoted to a spirited defense of William Jennings Bryan and bimetallism. This is followed by a detailed, photographically illustrated article on the Tintic mining district (south of Salt Lake City), a discussion of Utah farming prospects, a half-page of real estate listings for houses and farms in Salt Lake and Provo, and advertisements for Utah mines and mining stocks, railroads, and a variety of Salt Lake businesses. The back page offers a "Ready Reference to Reliable Firms of Salt Lake City," and the front cover features an image of "A Type of Utah Young Womanhood. Miss Queenie Ferguson, Daughter of Mrs. Ellen B. Ferguson, the only lady delegate in the Democratic National Convention at Chicago." OCLC locates only one physical holding of the Utahnian, in Germany.
Woodstock, VT: State Board of Agriculture, . 8 x 11 inches, oblong, in original pictorial wrappers. 99 pp, with dozens of illustrations from photographs. Light soiling and chipping to wraps, foxing to first two leaves, else very good. An attractive promotional that works hard to demonstrate that "Vermont offers opportunity for almost every human endeavor" before providing the prospective settler with more than 50 pages of listings of farms for sale. The listings are divided by county, and each includes a paragraph of description noting selling points (modern barns and farm equipment, mountain views, orchards, timber, etc) and the address and asking price. $1,500 could buy you a 160-acre farm with a 12-room house, two barns, trout brooks, and maple, pear, plum, and apple trees.
Tacoma and Seattle; Chicago: J.O. Hestwood and W.B. Conkey, 1893. First and only edition. 64 pp, with many illustrations, including a map of the state and a bird's-eye view of Fairhaven and Billingham Bay on Puget Sound. Original illustrated wrappers are brittle and heavily chipped; internals very good. Published for distribution at the World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago, this is a highly detailed promotional work describing the state's natural resources, agricultural productivity and potential, climate, waterways, financial and educational institutions, pleasure and health resorts, etc. Individual sections are dedicated to fruit growing, lumbering, and fisheries, and to many different municipalities, including Tacoma, Everett, Fairhaven, Snohomish, Chehalis, Olympia, Pullman, Ocosta, and Port Angeles. Despite the claim of a print run of 100,000 on the title page, this book is quite scarce. We find no copies in the trade, none at auction in the past 40 years, and just 8 copies in OCLC, of which 4 are in the United States.
New Tacoma: M. L. Money, Book and Job Printers, 1881. Early reissue (or second state) of the first edition, with the title page and text matching that of the first edition, but the front cover giving a publication date of 1881 instead of 1880 and "1880-1" substituted for "1880" in the title. 6 x 4 inches, 88 pp. Printed wraps are soiled and somewhat edgeworn, closed tear mended with tape on the inside of the rear wrapper, pages tanned, some pages unopened and others opened roughly, but a good, sound copy nonetheless. A digest of descriptive information and statistics about climate, topography, principle industries, agricultural prospects, natural resources, transportation, and other useful information for prospective settlers of Washington Territory. The anonymous compilers acknowledge having "appropriated data from every reliable source" (including works by Elwood Evans, future Governor of the Territory, and Randolph Foster Radebaugh, publisher of the Tacoma Daily Ledger and Tacoma Daily Tribune) and note that "our purpose has not been to produce a literary work, but to present a true exhibit of Washington Territory, as seen by intelligent, disinterested, and reliable men." Fourteen copies of the original issue are to be found in OCLC, but only 4 with the added 1881 wrapper, as found here. Streeter 3272, Smith 7358 (1880 issue).
San Francisco: The Bancroft Company, 1888. First Edition. 172 pp, in original cloth, decorated in gilt and black, with publisher's review slip tipped in. Moderate edgewear, faint cup ring on front cover; very good. Voldo was a traveling agent of the Puget Sound Co-Operative Colony, a utopian community established in Port Angeles, Washington in 1887, and served as one of the editors of the Colony newspaper, Model Commonwealth. In the preface to this collection of his poetry, he describes his work as a response to Tennyson's poem "Locksley Hall," which he reads as a condemnation of the modern world and a longing for a pastoral, pre-industrialized existence. Voldo, in contrast, sees civilization progressing toward "larger liberty, higher achievement, supremer happiness," via several different paths: "philanthropy, with love's lamp searching out the haunts of the wretched; legislation, seeking to be humane and just, protecting the weak, enlightening the dark, uplifting the oppressed; politics, exalting and expanding civilization; letters, reaching after hope, and strength, and joy; science, discovering the unity and completion of the race." OCLC locates no copies in Pacific Northwest institutions.
Typed letter signed (two pages, the first on American Bison Society letterhead, dated November 22, 1921) and one-page typed statement, signed. All three pages with holes at upper left corner from removed staples, one with a tear at the same spot, one with a paper clip rust mark; otherwise very good. One of the first environmental protection organizations in the United States, the American Bison Society was founded in 1904 by a group of sportsmen and conservationists—among them Theodore Roosevelt and William S. Hornaday—to help raise public awareness of bison and save them from extinction. Here the Society’s secretary, Martin S. Garretson, writes to its president, Edmund Seymour, urging that the recent death of Joseph Bengoechea, “the one time ‘sheep king’ of Idaho” be used as an occasion to alert the public to the destruction caused by sheep farming in the West. Clearly unconcerned about speaking ill of the dead, Garretson suggests sarcastically that those erecting a monument to Bengoechea add a plaque “on one side having in relief a figure of a Basque sheepman killing antelope, bearing the title ‘We do as we please and defy the law,’ and on the other side representing several million acres of ruined country, with the caption ‘THE PUBLIC BE DAMMED’[sic].” In a statement apparently written for the press, Garretson describes a region between Mountain Home, Idaho and Elko, Nevada that was “once covered with bunch grass waist high” that is “now ruined beyond reclamation for any purpose.” Not only have the sheep ranchers allowed their flocks to over-graze, but they “deliberately slaughtered every antelope, deer, sage grouse, and all other wild life that formerly inhabited this region, rendering it practically a desert of sage brush inhabited by lizards and horned toads.” Such efforts by the American Bison Society to raise awareness of the ill effects of habitat destruction (and other human activities) ultimately saved the majestic animal from extinction.
New York: Henry T. Williams, 1876. First Edition. 7 x 9.25 inches, pp [viii], 6-293,  (statistical tables),  (ads). Publisher's plum cloth with beveled edges, title stamped in gilt on upper board. Corners rubbed through, some fraying to spine ends and light sunning to spine and edges, internally quite sound and clean, with the early ownership signature of "Hettie Zimmerman, Petaluma, Sonora County, Cal" on the front pastedown and flyleaf and ink stamp of "Barkalow Bros. U.P.R.R. Gen'l News Agents" on front free endpaper. Very good. The first of many editions of this standard guide for railroad travelers, which provides (as the seemingly endless title continues) "full descriptions of...all pleasure resorts and places of most noted scenery in the far west, also of all cities, towns, villages, U.S. forts, springs, lakes, mountains, routes of summer travel, best locations for hunting, fishing sporting and enjoyment, with all needful information for the pleasure traveler, miner settler and business man" (there's more, but we'll spare you). The guide is indeed detailed, with useful tidbits of information on attractions and settlements small and large across the West. It is nicely illustrated with scenic engravings after work by Thomas Moran and others and includes a 16-page article by F.V. Hayden on Yellowstone.
Milwaukee: Daily Wisconsin Print, 1856. First Edition. 4.5 x 7 inches, pp , 472, in original cloth-backed illustrated boards. Title page and two pages of ads immediately following are printed in four colors. Light rubbing to edges, old historical society stamp on title page, otherwise unmarked; near fine. According to the Preface, this pioneer directory was printed under less than ideal circumstances. Only a small supply of type was available, "so that each particular form of the book had to be set up, printed and distributed" before the next one could be started. Despite the title, this copy has no map, nor did the only one we located in auction records. OCLC records on the few institutional holdings are vague, but none clearly indicates a map is present, and it may well have never been printed and/or bound in. Eberstadt (114: 833) describes the book as "a very credible volume, with a remarkable title-page containing ten different styles of type and almost as many varieties of colored inks. The hundreds of transportation, travel and commercial advertisements are also of much interest.” A 40-page "Local & General Statistics" section at the end offers details on the city's banks, insurance companies, railroads, plank roads, government, schools, fire department, churches, literary institutions, Masonic lodges, benevolent institutions, and newspapers.
University City, Missouri: American Woman's League, 1910. Single sheet of cream stock, 8.5 x 11 inches, with affixed red seal blindstamped "June 11, 1910." Decorative border, photographic "watermark" behind the text. Filled out for one Cora B. Cramer of Monterey, California. Horizontal creasing, staple holes at the upper left corner, original receipt detached from lower edge (not present), else about fine. Enterprising publisher Edward Gardner Lewis established the American Woman's League—an organization that promoted educational cultural and business opportunities for women—in University City, Missouri in 1907. To drum up business--and also because he had a genuine interest in women's rights and other social reforms--Lewis offered free membership in the League to any woman who sold $52 worth of subscriptions to his various magazines, which included Woman's Magazine and Woman's Farm Journal. Supported by these sales, the League offered women a variety of social and educational opportunities and included a correspondence school, savings bank, and service organizations that provided for the homeless and for orphans. Benefits were available to all paid members at no cost. By 1910, there were reportedly 700 chapters and approximately 100,000 members. Each member would have been awarded a certificate like this one, which features photographs of League Chapter Houses in Edwardsville, Illinois and Lebanon, Missouri and the Woman’s Magazine Building and Press Annex and Woman’s National Daily Building, both in University City. Despite the numbers apparently issued, few of these certificates appear to have survived.
New York: National Woman Suffrage Publishing Company, . 9 x 6 inches, chromolithographed stapled wraps, 26 pp. A little chipping and rubbing, tide marks at the spine both externally and internally, rear wrap with a dog-ear crease at the lower corner. Good only, but sound, and the cover color is bright. Carrie Chapman Catt (1859-1947) was a prominent leader in the movement for women's suffrage. Gifted as both an organizer and a public speaker, she traveled the country for more than a decade, giving lectures and helping local suffrage organizations to work together and grow. In 1915, she became President of the National Woman Suffrage Association, a position she held until successful passage of the Nineteenth Amendment in 1920. She delivered the address in this pamphlet on several occasions during speaking tours, but never actually before Congress. The main portion of the argument is devoted to the inevitability of female suffrage, and it essentially exhorts members of Congress to put themselves on the right side of history. She goes on to address the need for a federal rather than a state-by-state solution. She concludes by addressing three common objections: 1) that war-time is no time for domestic political squabbles; 2) that Congress does not have the authority to act; and 3) that states' rights would be violated by a Congressional act. The final five pages contain statements from a variety of luminaries on the subject of "Women's War Service in Britain," attesting to the indispensable nature of women's contributions to the war effort.
Raleigh: Capital Printing Co., n.d. (but ca. 1920). Broadside, 8.5 x 12 inches. Short closed tear at top edge, faint creasing at lower corners, but clean and bright overall; very good. An anti-suffrage, anti-integration, anti-pacifism screed against Catt using her own words (lifted out of context) against her. The specter of women at the ballot box is only the harbinger of even greater horrors to come: the intermingling of the races; a "world-wide revolt" against recognized laws and customs; the "defamation" of flag and country; and the relegation of the Constitution to a mere torn-up "scrap of paper." Undated, but the latest excerpt cited is from the January 8, 1920 edition of the Richmond Times-Dispatch; the Nineteenth Amendment, granting women the right to vote, was ratified later that year.
Thirteen glossy black and white photographs, ranging from 5 x 7 to 8 x 10 inches; 7 with "Santa Paula, Calif." stamped on the verso, 1 with "1029 Market Street, San Francisco, Cal." stamped on the verso, 1 with “Anaheim, Cal.” and “Spears Studio, 222 W. Center Street, Anaheim, Calif.” stamped on the verso and “SPEARS” blindstamped on the recto, 1 with "Frank Palmer, Quincy Mass." stamped in the border on the recto, 1 with "Harding Studio" stamped on the verso, and 2 without identification. Fine. On September 16, 1922, an advertisement in the Saturday Evening Post related the following anecdote: "In 1879, F.W. Woolworth set forth to do a new thing--to give values for five and ten cents as had never been given before. He knew that values alone will not build a business; the goods must be so displayed that people can see them. After his first little store in Lancaster, Pa., had grown into a great countrywide enterprise, Mr. Woolworth was asked the reasons for the success of the Woolworth Stores. 'Our windows,' was one of the reasons he gave." From the very beginning, the signature Woolworth windows were the company's only form of advertising. They featured standardized lighting (GE's "Edison Mazda Lamps," visible in a number of the photographs here) and sumptuous and enticing displays, the style of which had been codified by the turn of the century by Samuel Knox, an early partner. The photographs in this collection provide many examples: Every window calls out for noses to be pressed up against it, every display beckons the viewer inside, and every counter is piled high, as far as the eye can see. The displays can be elaborate (note the nascent Santa Paula airport models--ca. 1930--in two of the photos, and the Toyland, Christmas, and Easter displays in several others) or whimsical (a window filled with railroad cars and 'aeroplanes'), but even the more mundane (sewing supplies, stationary, dry goods, toiletries) seem voluptuous and welcoming. Despite the wide variety of stock, the merchandising is remarkable for its consistency. Virtually every item is accompanied with its own little price sign, a constant visual reminder that this treasure can be yours, for only a nickel or a dime. That pricing structure held for a full fifty years. Throughout the 1910s and '20s, the familiar "Nothing in this store over 10¢!" banner hung in every Woolworth store. That would change, however, after the crash of 1929. That year, a 15¢ line was added to the lower-priced items, and in 1932 the upper limit was raised again to 20¢. Then, on November 13, 1935, the final blow: as later related by the Saturday Evening Post, “The five-and-ten, as an American institution, came to a quiet end. The occasion was a meeting of the board of directors of the F. W. Woolworth Co. The action they took was designed to engineer the company into merchandising more profitably than the price-restricted field of five-and-ten. On that fateful day, the board voted "that the selling-price limit of twenty cents on merchandise be discontinued.’" Although Woolworth would stay in business for another fifty years, the five-and-dime era truly had come to an end.
Aix-les-Bains, France: Imp. P. Jacques, . Paper folder illustrated with a drawing of Uncle Sam, 4 x 5.5 inches, containing six unused postcards. Light chipping and perhaps minor trimming to folder, one postcard with a small smudge; very good. A scarce souvenir folder of “humorous” postcards, each with a cartoon showing one American soldier and one German who has been captured, strangled, leashed, or—in in the most gruesome one—blown to bits, by the American. On the back of the folder is printed “The sojourn of the American Expeditionary Forces in France remains deeply graven on the hearts of the people of the city of Aix-les-Bains.” Army orders required giving soldiers a week’s leave every four months, and Americans in France were sent to Aix, where they were put up in hotels, fed well, and entertained. Since the U.S. Army spent large sums to give its men this much-needed morale boost, the people of Aix were likely quite happy to have them.
Broadside, 8 x 11.5 inches, on tanned newsprint. No publication information given, but 1917. Old folding creases, bottom two inches a bit rumpled, two small repairs to the verso; very good. On April 15, 1917 -- two weeks after the United States officially entered the Great War -- President Woodrow Wilson issued a proclamation urging all Americans to do their part to increase production of the many things necessary to support the war effort, among them: "abundant materials out of our fields and our mines and our factories with which not only to clothe and equip our own forces on land and sea, but also ... to help clothe and equip the armies with which we are cooperating in Europe." He singled out Southern farmers, urging them to put patriotism before profit and grow food crops instead of the more lucrative cotton. "The variety of their crops," he concluded, "will be the visible measure of their comprehension of their national duty." Following Wilson's directive, this apparently unrecorded broadside invites the public to a mass meeting where speakers from the State College of Agriculture and the U.S.D.A. will "assist in organizing the community" to combat a world food shortage. We have been unable to determine with certainty which state this is from, but believe it to be either North Carolina or Georgia (the two southern states that had a State College of Agriculture at the time).
[Washington]: Department of the Interior, 1927. Office of Indian Affairs Bulletin 15. 4 pp, self wrappers. Fine copy. Contains brief accounts of acts of heroism and bravery by some of the 12,000 Native Americans who served in World War I. In addition, the author notes, "not only did the Indian boys do their full duty during the World War, but the World War had its own effect on the Indians." An Indian school superintendent in California writes that "I have found that the Indian young man was greatly bettered through his work in the Army." A report "from an Oklahoma reservation" puts it more bluntly: "One Cheyenne, typical, no-account, reservation Indian with long hair went to France, was wounded, gassed, and shell-shocked. Was returned, honorably discharged. He reported to the agency office square shouldered, level-eyed, courteous, self-reliant, and talked intelligently. A wonderful transformation, and caused by contact with the outside world. He is at work."
Portland, OR: Portland Fire Bureau and Civilian Defense Council, 1942. Small broadside, 6 x 9.5 inches, with old folding creases, light handling wear. Very good. World War II civilian defense leaflet educating citizens on "the equipment needed to handle an incendiary bomb if an aerial incendiary attack should be made upon Portland." Apparently, a garden hose or bucket of sand was all that was needed, and the authorities trusted the public to take care of things, ordering:"DON'T call the Fire Department unless the fire from the bomb gets out of your control" and "DON'T fear incendiary bombs. They CAN BE CONTROLLED without danger to yourself" (if you just follow these instructions).