Modern three-ring binder containing 27 black and white 8” x 10” photographs showcasing high-end vehicles for rent from the Iowa Garage, owned by former race car mechanic Eugene Lajunie of Pasadena. Each photo is accompanied by a typed caption giving the model number, color, some specifications, and the price per day to rent with a driver. Vehicles include many touring cars and cabriolets made by Renault, Packard, and Daimler; a Sunbeam roadster, town cars, taxis, a limousine, army trucks, a French truck mounted with an anti-aircraft gun, and several remarkable “camera cars” made with front or rear-mounted platforms to hold movie cameras and their operators. Rental prices ranged from $35/day for a camera car to $75/day for the Sunbeam Roadster or a 1926 Renault cabriolet. Many of the cars are “posed” in front of beautiful homes on tree-lined Pasadena streets. These photographs would originally have been in a sales catalogue or album, and there are remnants of the original pages on which they were mounted on the back of each one. Some have the original typed captions taped to the back, others have recent copies of those captions. These photographs were acquired as a group from the granddaughter of Eugene Lajunie, and we believe the family made the modern captions to replace damaged ones from the original album. The images themselves are all original and in very good condition.
List 10: Californiana
Refine search resultsSkip to search results
Sacramento: State Office, 1881. 72 pp, illustrated with small wood engravings, in original lavender printed wrappers. Some chipping to spine, old tears and tape repairs to back wrapper, else very good. Matthew Cooke was in the business of manufacturing fruit boxes in the 1870s when California’s apple crop was devastated by Codlin moths. He began studying entomology to find defense against the moths (and ensure the security of his business) and quickly became an expert on a range of pests affecting California’s fruit crops. He was appointed Chief Executive Horticultural Officer of California in 1881. This report, prepared at the request of the State Board of Horticultural Commissioners, describes the life cycles of the major insects damaging fruit crops (moths, scale insects, mites, caterpillars, borers, aphids, etc.) and recommends remedies for dealing with each. It also includes the text of new legislation intended to protect and promote the horticultural interests of the State of California.
Los Angeles: De Luxe Building Co., Architectural Designers, 1919. Fifth edition, revised. 54 pp, 6.75 x 9.75 inches, oblong. Rubbing and creasing to wrappers, occasional penciled notes, dampstain to last six leaves and back cover. A nicely illustrated trade catalogue extolling the virtues of the California Bungalow, which "no doubt has reached its highest development here in California, where every man owns his own home, and builds his home as artistic as possible for his financial benefit, as an artistic home will attract a buyer, and a pretty home is the pride and ambition of every man." Each page offers a half-tone photo of a completed home along with a short description, floor plan, and a price for complete blue prints and specifications.
Nueva York: Polhemus y Compania, 1901. First Edition. Hardcover. Good. Title continues: Tomadas, por parte de México, Bajo la Dirección del Ingeniero Jacobo Blanco, Jefe de la Sección Mexicana de la Comisión Internacional de Limites que Restablecio los Monumentos en Anos de 1892 a 1895. 11 x 14 inches, oblong, in original black cloth with red leather spine and corners, marbled edges and endpapers. Title stamped in gilt on upper board and spine. Also designated "Vol. III" on spine. Front board and first few leaves detached (but present), rear hinge cracked. Text block otherwise sound and quite clean. Title page and one-page introduction by Blanco are followed by 258 b/w half-tone plates showing all of the monuments along the U.S./Mexico border from El Paso to the Pacific. Many of the images include the surveyors and their equipment. "In the 1870s and 1880s, land ownership and border disputes broke out when valuable natural resources were discovered near the United States-Mexican border. The International Boundary Commission, which set out in 1891, consisted of two main parties, one from the U.S. and one from Mexico. John Whitney Barlow and Jacobo Blanco, respectively U.S. and Mexican commissioners, met at El Paso in February 1892 to begin the work. Their instructions were to resurvey the border line, locate and rebuild the old monuments, and install additional markers as necessary" (Smithsonian). This album is the Spanish-language equivalent (with the same plates) of "Report of the Boundary Commission Upon the Survey and Re-Marking of the Boundary Between the United States and Mexico West of the Rio Grande, 1891-1896: Album," published by the U.S. Government Printing Office in 1899.
Nueva York: Polhemus y Compania, 1901. First Edition. Title continues: Tomadas, por parte de México, Bajo la Dirección del Ingeniero Jacobo Blanco, Jefe de la Sección Mexicana de la Comisión Internacional de Limites que Restablecio los Monumentos en Anos de 1892 a 1895. 11 x 14 inches, oblong, in original black cloth with red leather spine and corners, marbled edges and endpapers. Title stamped in gilt on upper board and spine. Also designated "Vol. III" on spine. Front board and first few leaves detached (but present), rear hinge cracked. Text block otherwise sound and quite clean. Good. Title page and one-page introduction by Blanco are followed by 258 b/w half-tone plates showing all of the monuments along the U.S./Mexico border from El Paso to the Pacific. Many of the images include the surveyors and their equipment. "In the 1870s and 1880s, land ownership and border disputes broke out when valuable natural resources were discovered near the United States-Mexican border. The International Boundary Commission, which set out in 1891, consisted of two main parties, one from the U.S. and one from Mexico. John Whitney Barlow and Jacobo Blanco, respectively U.S. and Mexican commissioners, met at El Paso in February 1892 to begin the work. Their instructions were to resurvey the border line, locate and rebuild the old monuments, and install additional markers as necessary" (Smithsonian). This album is the Spanish-language equivalent (with the same plates) of "Report of the Boundary Commission Upon the Survey and Re-Marking of the Boundary Between the United States and Mexico West of the Rio Grande, 1891-1896: Album," published by the U.S. Government Printing Office in 1899.
Avalon, CA: Printed by the Catalina Islander for the Catalina Island School for Boys, 1933-1935. Four issues (Volume II, Numbers 2-4 and Volume III, Number 2) spanning the period December 1933 to February 1935. Each issue is 4 pp, measures 10.75 x 15 inches, and has been folded horizontally. Some general handling wear, but very good overall. The Catalina Island School for Boys was an exclusive boarding school located at Toyon Bay on Santa Catalina Island. Established in 1928, it aimed to combine classical education with “character-building” outdoor activities modeled on those of the Boy Scouts. The school had a short period of success, attracting wealth students and sending them off to Ivy League schools, but it closed in 1943 after Toyon Bay was taken over for military use during World War II. These scarce newsletters offer considerably insight into daily life at the school. Articles cover sports, boating and fishing, talks given by faculty, books added to the school library, incidents of life on the island, school plays, club activities, improvements to school facilities, social events, holiday festivities, etc. Short essays, stories, and travelogues by students appear on the back page of each issue. We find no record of this publication in OCLC.
Sacramento: Valrie Okey, 1914. 9 x 12 inches, 24 pp, with many half-tone photographic illustrations. Some soiling to wrappers, one-inch closed tear affecting entire volume; all else very good. According to the masthead, The Great West was published monthly beginning in 1907, but OCLC records examples of only three issues—including this one, which is entirely dedicated to Chico and the surrounding region. Articles extol the economic and social conditions of the city, the richness of the soil, educational institutions, the almond orchards of Durham, pear and apple orchards of Paradise and Cohasset, the United States Plant Introduction Field Station, outdoor recreational opportunities, and “the greatest manufacturing plant in California”—the Diamond Match Company. There are also several pages of local ads for banks, breweries, flour mills, hotels, lumber yards, and more.
NP, ND, but ca. 1902. 7 x 10 inches, 23,  pp., in attractive illustrated wrappers. Upper corners of front wrap are chipped and spine is partly split. Good. Illustrated promotional booklet, with most text reprinted from the September 1902 issue of Sunset Magazine. A preliminary page describes the attractions of the city of Paso Robles and the Hotel El Paso and touts the “curative properties of the hot sulphur springs and mud baths,” which “are known from one end of the country to the other.” There are also four pages of testimonials to those same curative properties and the obligatory chemical analysis of the spring waters.
[Murrieta, CA]. Undated, but 1930s. Single sheet printed on both sides, folded to a 4 x 9-inch brochure, with bright color covers, b/w illustrations from photographs inside. Fine. Fritz Guenther began developing Murrieta’s natural hot springs as a resort in 1902, and his family ran it until the 1960s. This brochure describes the healthful properties of the springs (visitors were advised to drink the water as well as bathe in it, and in the “natural tule mud”) that promised to draw impurities from the system), the food, and the various levels of accommodation.
Los Angeles: Howes & Company, 1903. 9 x 11 inches, oblong. [30 pp], in original lavender printed wrappers. Some sunning and edgewear to wraps, else fine. Entirely composed of captioned views (most from photographs, some from drawings or engravings) of Southern California hotels, including several double-page spreads. Captions generally list the owner and manager of the hotel, and in some cases the architect. among those included are: Hotel Green (Pasadena), Idyllwild-Among-the-Pines (Idyllwild), the Angelus (Los Angeles), The Westminster (Los Angeles), The Raymond (Pasadena), The Potter (Santa Barbara), Hotel Redondo (Redondo Beach), Oceanside Hotel (Oceanside), Hotel Del Mar (Long Beach), Loma Linda Hotel (Loma Linda), Hotel La Pintoresca (North Pasadena), Bellvue Terrace Hotel (Los Angeles), La Vista Grande (Monrovia), the Glenwood Hotel (Riverside), Fremont Hotel (Los Angeles), Hotel Antlers (Los Angeles), Collins Hotel (Los Angeles), Hotel Maryland (Pasadena).
Pasadena: Radiant Life Press, 1916. First Edition. Softcover. Very good. 50 pp + illustrations from photographs, in original wrappers with embossed lettering and small illustration of a mountain scene. Wear to the yapp edges, internally bight and sound. Huntington Lake reservoir was created in 1912 as part of the Big Creek Hydroelectric Project, which was developed to provide power to the rapidly growing City of Los Angeles. Soon after the lake was completed, developers realized the new recreational opportunities it offered, and thus the Huntington Lake Lodge was opened in 1915. Tourists proved happy to visit in the summer, but reluctant to brave the trip in winter. The Snow and Ice Carnival was an attempt to showcase the attractions of winter sports and recreation in the Sierras. In this book, James not only describes the adventures of the first large party to make the trip, but also offers a detailed description of the region and surrounding peaks and a history of the power-generation project. A scarce work, nicely illustrated. Rocq 1917.
Lordsburg, CA: Lordsburg College, 1907-08. First Edition. Three issues, Vol. each 16 pp, in original stapled wrappers. Some toning and handling wear; overall very good. This short-lived periodical was published by Lordsburg College, which was located in eastern Los Angeles County and founded in 1891 by members of the Church of the Brethren. (In 1917, the community of Lordsburg changed its name to La Verne, and the college quickly followed suit. It still exists today as the University of La Verne). The California Student promoted the school ("our commercial graduates were placed with the best firms in Pomona within 48 hours of their graduation"), offered news of student activities and alumni accomplishments, and also carried stories of general interest on California. These issues include articles on California Indians, the Big Trees of Mariposa, and summer flowers of the Sierras. There are also several pages of local advertising in each issue, primarily for businesses in Pomona and Los Angeles. We found no record of this publication in OCLC.
San Francisco: Hayes Valley Advertiser Print, 1888. First Edition. Cover title: Constitution and By-Laws of the Harness, Saddle, Collar, and Whip Makers’ Union of the Pacific Coast; Also Rules and Regulations of the H.,S.,C and W. M.s’ Beneficial Association, Organized April 1, 1881. 4 x 6 inches, 96 pp, in original printed wrappers. A few small tears, minor foxing; very good. “To rescue our trade from the condition to which it has fallen, and to raise ourselves to that condition in society to which we as mechanics are justly entitles, and to place ourselves on a foundation sufficiently strong to secure us from further encroachments, and to elevate the moral, social, and intellectual condition that every operative in the country should be in, is the object of our organization….” One copy located in OCLC (Bancroft).
Ten original photographs, 6.25 x 9 inches, of pencil sketches made by Frank Lecouvreur documenting his journey to California around Cape Horn and his experiences mining for gold in the early 1850s. The same sketches are reproduced as some of the plates in Lecouvreur’s book From East Prussia to the Golden Gate (Angelina Book Concern, 1906); however, the images in the book are slightly cropped versions of those in this lot. Our best guess, therefore, is that our photographs were supplied to the publisher for purposes of making the plates (essentially camera-ready copy). The California images here include two river scenes, a mountain pass and valley, and a miner’s cabin near Nelson Creek (Plumas Country). There are two drawings of the Bark Victoria (one in heavy seas as it rounds the Horn) and several scenes from Chile showing a town and fort. Each photo is mounted on an 8 x 10.5-inch board with handwritten captions in German (in pencil) and English (in ink), in two different hands). Light edgewear to mounts, else fine.
Los Angeles: Department of Social Service, City of Los Angeles, 1927. 5.25 x 7 inches, 253 pp. Light wear to wrappers, previous owners’ stamps on a few pages; very good. A fascinating and extensive list of agencies that were either endorsed by the Department of Social Service or members of the Community Welfare Foundation, as well as “other organizations and institutions which are believed to be doing some good work.” The listings are divided into several sections based on their primary mission: Health, Veterans, Family Welfare and Relief, Preventive and Protective, Social Centers and Settlements, Child Care, Character Building and Leisure Time Activities, Handicapped, and Old Age Care. Several of these sections are further divided to indicate whether they serve primarily men, women, or children. Listings include the organization’s address and phone number, dates of organization and incorporation, officers, mission, activities, and capacity.
Leatherette album containing a title/table of contents page and fourteen professional 8 x 10 black and white photographs covered with plastic sheet protectors (i.e., not mounted). Binder printed with seal of Los Angeles on the front cover. Some wear to spine ends of binder, splitting to some plastic covers; photos fine. Inscribed at the top of the title page "Greetings from Los Angeles, Norris." Norris Poulson was Mayor of Los Angeles from 1953 to 1961, having previously spent eight years representing California in the U.S. House of Representatives. During his tenure as Mayor, Poulson spearheaded expansion of Los Angeles' freeway system and harbor, as well as Los Angeles International Airport. He also led the drive to lure baseball's Brooklyn Dodgers to Los Angeles. The photos in this album, which was presumably made in small numbers to be given to visiting dignitaries, showcase some of these achievements. In addition to photos of Poulson and the City Council, there are several aerial views of the city that highlight the freeway system (including one of the famous four-level interchange known as "the Stack"), as well as images of the Civic Center. Pershing Square Park, Los Angeles Harbor, Exposition Park Rose Garden, Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, Griffith Park Observatory, and a deceptively sedate-looking LAX. An effective, if whitewashed, presentation of a bustling, orderly city in mid-twentieth century America.
Los Angeles: Board of Harbor Commissioners, 1913. First Edition. 8.5 x 11.25 inches, in original printer wrappers. Chipping to spine ends, front hinge repaired with cloth tape, soiling to half title, scattered foxing.. 158 pp, with many illustrations from photographs, maps, diagrams, folded plates, but lacking a plan originally found in a rear pocket. A scarce early report on the development of Los Angeles as a port city, written as the harbor's main channel was being dredged and widened and to accommodate larger vessels. This report discusses the effects to be expected from the opening of the Panama Canal, the growth and development of commerce in Los Angeles generally, harbor construction work, bond issues, wharf facilities, legislation and litigation affecting the harbor, and more. Includes several very nice folding photographic panoramas showing parts of the harbor and the Los Angeles and San Pedro business districts. Once the Panama Canal opened in 1915, the Port of Los Angeles occupied a unique strategic position for international trade and became a major destination point for east-to-west seaborne trade.
Leather album containing 40 linen-backed 6 x 8-inch black and white photographs, two reproducing hand-drawn schematics, the rest showcasing the company’s machinery and its applications. Album measures 7.75 x 11 inches (oblong) and is stamped “Meese & Gottfried Company” in gilt on front cover. Covers are rubbed and have a slightly tacky feel. Four photos have some staining; the remainder are in very good condition, with some fraying to the linen at the edges. Founded by Constant Meese and Fritz Gottfried, the company was headquartered in San Francisco, but also had operations in Los Angeles, Portland, Seattle, and Spokane. They manufactured gears, pulleys, power transmission equipment and pulley systems for industrial work sites. The photos here show their equipment in use by customers a variety of settings, including mining, agriculture, manufacturing, dam construction, and shipping/transportation of goods. A valuable visual record of the work of this company, which was acquired in 1923 by Link-Belt, a manufacturer of heavy equipment that remains in business today.
Mt. Lowe, CA: W.W. Meador, 1921. 11 x 16 inches, 8 pp, printed in green. A few stains and short tears; very good. Single issue of this daily "newspaper" given free to tourists who visited Mount Lowe. Each issue printed the names of all the day's visitors (and other than that, content probably did not change much on a daily basis). The text describes the Incline Railway that took visitors to the top, the Lowe Observatory, and other features (searchlight, circular bridge, granite gateway, Alpine Tavern, etc), and lists various hiking and horseback trails that could be taken on the mountain. Many of these attractions are illustrated, and there are also ads for the Pacific Electric Railway, Catalina Island excursions via the new steamship Avalon, the Argonauts' Hotel in San Francisco, and Yosemite National Park.
Rosemead, CA: Southern California Edison Company, 1974. Three-ring binder containing cover letter, 380 pp + appendices. Near fine. Presents the results of the Southeastern Division/Orange County Land Use Study, conducted in 1973 by Southern California Edison's Urban Regional Planning System Development Department. According to the Executive Summary, the study "was designed primarily to develop long-range (twenty-year) projections of population, employment, dwelling units, and land use." Includes many maps and tables of data on population growth and residential, commercial, and industrial development in different districts (Whittier, Fullerton, Santa Ana, Huntington Beach, El Toro).
San Diego: Board of Supervisors of San Diego County, . First Edition. 5.25 x 8 inches, 31 pp + map of the author's route, with many illustrations from photographs. Printed wrappers show moderate general wear, some light soiling to text. Fletcher arrived in San Diego in 1888, at the age of 15, and grew up to become a land developer and civic leader. In this booklet, he sought to make people aware that the regions beyond the coast were not just a dry wasteland, but included areas of great scenic beauty and agricultural, mineral, and timber resources. The narrative takes the reader from San Diego to El Cajon Valley, Ramona, Santa Maria Valley, Warner Hot Springs, Mesa Grande, Julian, Cuyamuca, and Descanso, with description of various natural features and attractions along the way. The accompanying half-tone photos show the author in his car, local scenery, Warner's Ranch. and Hot Springs, Mount Palomar, orchards, an "Indian Fiesta Dance," etc.
San Francisco: Wurster, Bernardi, and Emmons.; Skidmore, Owings & Merrill.; De Leuw, Cather & Company, 1958. 11.5 x 14.5 inches, oblong. 30 pp, in original pictorial wrappers, with illustrations from photographs, plans, and drawings. Covers somewhat soiled; a few stray pencil marks to an otherwise clean and bright interior; about very good. Presents plans for the remodeling and development of the existing Civic Center complex to contain two centers of civic activity: 1)The buildings of the City, County, State, and Federal agencies, anchored by City Hall; and 2) Cultural and recreational buildings, including the the Museum, the Opera, and convention facilities, anchored by a new Exposition Building, and other new buildings, surrounding a renovated plaza. Includes floor plans, details of square footage, etc.
Metropolitan Water District of Southern California, 1930. 8.5 x 11 inches, 166 pp, with many maps, charts, diagrams, illustrations from photographs. Original printed wrappers. Library discard with related markings on the front endpapers, perf. stamp on title page, call number on spine. Otherwise very good. The Metropolitan Water District of Southern California was created in 1928, as increasing residential and commercial development in the region began to overtax the existing water supply. Its purpose was the develop a domestic water supply via the Colorado river. The reports here discuss the engineering studies conducted and data collected to determine possible aqueduct routes, describe several different routes that were considered, and review the related legislation and legal and political obstacles. The Final Report concludes that "the best, the safest, and the most economical location for the acqueduct from the Colorado River is that known as the Parker Route" [which diverted water from the Colorado 150 miles below the Hoover Dam.] This recommendation was accepted, and in January 1933 work began on the Colorado River Aqueduct, which is now one of the primary sources of drinking water for Southern California.
Los Angeles: The Western Empire Publishing Co., 1895. 10.5 x 13.75 inches, pp 43-58 +  ads. Two-hole punched at the left edge, wrappers starting to split at the fold. light soiling, old horizontal crease, moderate general handling wear. Good. Single issue of this scarce illustrated periodical, with long articles on the Santa Barbara Flower Festival (by Mrs. S. E. A. Higgins, Helen Hunt Jackson’s Ramona (by George Wharton James), and Orange Day at Riverside (by E. Duvall Sweeny), as well as short notices and reviews, and many local ads for hotels, grocers, photographers, booksellers, clothiers, etc.
3.5 x 5.5 inches. Very slight edgewear, some dust soiling to the (otherwise blank) back. Unposted. The town of Meridian (Sutter County) was established in 1852, and by 1860 a ferry service was taking people across the Sacramento River. This photo – which shows the ferry operator standing at the side of the boat as a large, open-topped car (proudly flying a “Michigan” pennant) drives off—captures the ferry in its final days of operation. It was superseded by a bridge in 1914.