New York: S.W. Benedict, 1840. First Edition. 4.75 x 3 inches, pp. vi, 265, including index of first lines. Publisher's blind-stamped brown cloth with gilt spine lettering. Corners lightly bumped, very slight scattered foxing, nineteenth-century ink stamp of H.J. Jones and penciled signature of Samuel Jones on front free endpaper; very good or better. According to the Preface, this collection was commissioned by the American Anti-Slavery Society for use by "those who have been accustomed to meet to pray for the Emancipation of the Slave." Hatfield, a Presbyterian minister and student of hymns, selected and liberally edited 291 hymns, songs, and poems--including three credited to John Greenlead Whittier--and organized them thematically into sections titled "The Cause of the Slave," "The Slave Comforted," "The Slave Exhorted to Patience and Hope," "The Rights of the Slave," "Appeals in Behalf of the Slave" (subdivided into appeals to masters, freemen, women, and Christian), "Slaveholders Admonished," "The Friends of the Slave Encouraged," "The Friends of the Slave Assembled," and "Emancipation." As scholar Cheryl C. Boots argues, Freedom's Lyre stands out from the hundreds of collections of hymns published in the nineteenth century because the performance of these hymns "helped connect their secular cause with a sacred one" and "functioned within the ranks of the abolitionists as a commonly held language of identity and protest that engaged singers' emotions as it affirmed the humanity of blacks" ( (Singing for Equality, the American Antislavery and Indian Rights Movements, 1640-1855).
List 14: Americana
Refine search resultsSkip to search results
"Mark Twain Scrap Book," published by Slote, Woodman & Co., 10.75 x 8.25 inches, decorative blind-stamped boards with lettering in silver. Both boards detached, old tape on spine, contents otherwise very good. . Thirty leaves used, with newspaper clippings and ephemera affixed to both sides of each leaf. Some additional clippings laid in. "Charles V. Smith, his book" written in pencil on the front pastedown. Smith was born in Pennsylvania in 1843, enlisted in the Union Navy in 1863, and served on the battleships Saratoga and North Carolina. Following the war he lived in Stroudsburg, PA. The early pages of the scrapbook contain newspaper clippings dating from the 1870s-1890s, including the obituaries of a former slave (d. 1879) and the United States Minister to Liberia (d. 1882); an account of the murder of a "colored Cuban" in Philadelphia in 1878; the full text of a lengthy commencement address on the state of education in the South (1877); and an article from 1900 titled "Colored American Soldiers in Japan Welcomed with the Greatest Admiration." Of particular note is an article from 1897 on Charles Smith's own brother, who "disappeared in a strange manner in 1883 and since that year not a trace of him has been found." There are some additional early items on later pages, but on the ninth page we find Charles V. Smith's own obituary, which describes him as "a respected colored resident" and "a hard-working man all his life" who had "a fine little home, well and neatly kept." He was survived by his wife and two daughters, and we presume it was one of the daughters who continued the scrapbook--which contains similar types of materials dating from the 1930s-50s. There are dozens of obituaries for both ordinary and nationally known African Americans (and some non-African Americans) and many news clippings documenting the accomplishments of African Americans in politics, war, and the arts (e.g. "First Lady Lauds Noted Singer" [Marian Anderson, 1939]; "Negro Air Unit Total 3,000 Combat Sorties" ). A fascinating example of what Ellen Gruber Garvey has described as alternative histories, that "were meant to fill in gaps in mainstream accounts and assert African American importance in the nation's history" (Writing with Scissors, p. 131).
Partially printed document completed in manuscript, recording a $100 bond paid (or pledged) for Sanders Franklin, who has been charged with operation of an illegal distillery. Very good condition, with a two-inch split along one fold. The form used dates from the pre-Statehood (1907) era, and in several places the printed words "Indian Territory" have been crossed out by hand, with "Okla." or the U.S. court district and location written instead. Though on its surface this is an ordinary legal document, there is a fascinating history related to it. Sanders Franklin (born ca. 1854) was a Chickasaw Freedman or "Black Indian," – meaning he was an African-American born as a slave in the Chickasaw Nation and freed in 1866 as part of a treaty between the United States and the Five Civilized Tribes. Although the treaty dictated that the freedmen were to be adopted as full citizens with rights in their respective nations, the tribes (especially the Chickasaw) did not welcome them, leaving them doubly disenfranchised, without access to education or political power. As explained in the Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, "Social interaction, outwardly peaceful in most of the territory, sometimes changed to racial violence when freedmen attempted to exercise their rights." Although we do not know the background behind this liquor-related charge, we do know that less than two years later, Sanders Franklin was charged with the murder of a white man. According to a contemporary newspaper report, Sanders said the man had attacked him with a knife, after a dispute over payment for some whiskey led to the white man calling him "all manner of vile names," to which he took offense. Interestingly, in later accounts, the cause of the fight was listed as a "dispute over a watermelon." Fearing a lynch mob in Garvin County, where the incident occurred, Sanders hid out for several days. But when the Sheriff of neighboring Carter County worked out a plan with some of Sanders' friends, he "stated that he was glad of a chance to surrender to Sheriff Garrett as he knew he would be protected from the mob." The Daily Ardmorite reported that "The old man stoutly denies the killing and maintains that he will be able to establish his innocence when the case comes to trial… [He]was in good spirits this morning, ate a hardy breakfast, said that he enjoyed a good night's rest and was enjoying his pipe and tobacco when interviewed." Sadly, Sanders' belief in Garrett's ability to protect him was misplaced. On August 13, 1914, Sanders and another prisoner were being transported for trial by just one deputy when they were set upon by a mob of 150 white men. Accounts differ on whether they were shot or hung, but both men were murdered, bringing a tragic end to a life lived under circumstances of great social upheaval and racial injustice.
Cleveland, OH: The Cleveland Educational Bureau, 1882. pp , 23, , in original sewn wrappers, with ads for Cleveland businesses on verso of front wrapper and both sides of back wrapper. Fine. Includes two articles: "The Education of the Negro" by Tourgee and "Southern Education" by Collins. Albion Winegar Tourgee (1838-1905) was a white, Ohio-born attorney and Civil War veteran who in 1865 became a vocal advocate for racial equality in the South. He moved to North Carolina for health reasons in 1865, and three years later represented his county at the state constitutional convention. "His platform included equal political and civil rights for all citizens; ending property qualifications for jury duty and officeholding; popular election of all state officers, including judges; free public education; abolition of whipping posts, stocks, and branding for those convicted of crimes; judicial reform; and uniform taxation. In good part because of his leadership, these reforms and a homestead exemption, protecting a modest amount of real and personal property from creditors, were written into the North Carolina constitution" (DNB). He later served as a judge, wrote novels exploring the challenges of Reconstruction, and founded the National Citizens’ Rights Association, an organization devoted to equality for African-Americans. Here he traces the progress of education among African-Americans since the end of the Civil War, considers the many challenges to improvement, and advocates for "using the power and revenue of the Government to aid and protect education at the South, both of white and colored illiterates." Collins provides plentiful statistics to support his argument that support for the schools in southern states has been "utterly insufficient" and Federal spending is needed, for "education alone can give genuine liberty." One copy located in OCLC (AAS).
Archive of 90 original black and white photographs, most large-format, taken by members of the Army Air Corps Aerial Photographic Section. Some are credited on the back to Flight “F” 1st Photo Squadron (based at Fort Lewis, Washington), some to the 2nd Photo Squadron (Fort Lewis), some to the 2nd Mapping Squadron (Felts Field, near Spokane). Some are uncredited. Seventy-eight of the photographs are 8” x 10” or 7” x 9”, nine are 4.5” x 6.5”, and three are smaller snapshots. Minor curling, otherwise about fine, housed in archival sleeves in a binder. The men of the Army Air Corps photo squadrons had high-quality cameras (some of which are shown in these images) and knew how to use them, thus these photographs are exceptionally clear and well composed. The majority were taken in Alaska, and these cover a range of subject matter, including the spectacular Alaskan landscape (glaciers, mountains rivers), street scenes in Anchorage, small Alaskan settlements, Eskimos, military ski patrol training, and one fantastic view of the inside of a highly decorated hunting lodge. Various candid and formal shots show the officers of the 2nd Photographic Squadron—including two of a “de-bearding day” mock ceremony involving a five-foot tall cardboard scissors. Two composite prints contain miniature captioned portraits of all of the officers and men of that unit and allow for identification of those who appear in other photographs. There are five identified photographs of Washington locations (Fort Lewis , Grand Coulee Dam, Lake Union/Aurora Bridge, and La Push), another unidentified aerial view that is probably Washington, and about 20 images for which we are unable to determine the location, but suspect it is Felts Field in eastern Washington. These show the men, their aircraft, a barrage balloon. mobile photographic printing trucks, and other equipment. A very nice group of images documenting the work and lives of these Army Air Corpsmen just before the U.S. entry into World War II.
Philadelphia: Thayer, Merriam & Co. Undated, ca. 1889. Publisher's broadsheet prospectus, 9.5 x 12 inches, for "Barnum's Own Book," apparently one of many editions of The Life of Barnum, the World-Renowned Showman, which came out under several different imprints in 1890. Printed on very thin paper, it has old tape reinforcements to closed tears at two edges, and there are old folding creases. Still a very good example. Thayer, Merriam & Co. appears to have operated only from 1881 to 1892, during which time they put out about 25 books, likely all sold by subscription. This prospectus touts the widespread appeal of Barnum's story on one side and on the other solicits sales agents -- because "everybody wants this captivating story of the great showman". Potential agents are advised to make sure they don't have a canvassing book for any "bogus Life of Barnum" (of which, we are told, there are many), and, should they have one, to send it to Thayer, Merriam along with 35 cents. In exchange, they will receive a Thayer, Merriam "canvassing-book and outfit," for "the only genuine life of Barnum, written by himself." It is not clear if a Thayer, Merriam edition was ever actually published--though the salesman's sample was (two copies have appeared at auction). Only one holding is recorded in OCLC--at Tufts, but the Tufts catalogue, which includes several editions of this book, does not actually list one from this publisher. Either way, this broadsheet is an excellent artifact of the American book trade in the late 19th century.
Boston: True and Greene, 1825. First Edition. 22 pp, complete with original wrappers, but with the stitching perished, so gatherings are loose. Pink staining to front wrapper, edgewear, otherwise very good. Scarce pamphlet criticizing monopolies in general and, more specifically, the factions who opposed a new (toll-free) bridge in Boston because it would be detrimental to the interests of those holding a charter (and collecting tolls) for the existing (Charles River) bridge. Moser's Daniel Webster bibliography attributes this eloquently written pamphlet to Massachusetts State Senator David Henshaw (1791-1852). We have not been able to confirm this, but it seems reasonable, given that he was one of the leaders of the Democratic Party in Boston, belonged to a group of real estate investors who would benefit from population growth spurred by the proposed new bridge, and "represented the growing group of Bostonians who were shut out from the traditionally privileged class" (Haines and Sherwood, Supreme Court in American Government and Politics, p. 32). Daniel Webster was one of the attorney representing the interests of the Charles River Bridge Company, which was incorporated in 1785. Ultimately, in a landmark decision in favor of free enterprise (Charles River Bridge v. Warren Bridge, 1837) the Unites States Supreme Court ruled that the charter of the Charles River Bridge Company did not exclude the state of Massachusetts from chartering another bridge nearby. Sabin 6597.
Washington, D.C. . Single sheet folded to 10.75 x 8.25 inches with text on two of four pages. Folding creases; very good. An attractive illustrated circular soliciting veterans of the Indian Wars in the Old Northwest (1792, 1795), War of 1812, Seminole Wars (1835-36), and Mexican War to retain Gage's services to secure their claims to lands newly available to them following the passage of the Bounty Land Act of 1850. Gage claims experience "in connexion with the Pension department" that has "given him advantages possessed by but few whose business has been the general prosecution of claims against the United States" and offers a list of references composed of former and current U.S. senators and congressmen, as well as General Sam Houston. He promises that that "in no case will any charge be made unless the pension is procured for the applicant," but does not mention what payment will be due to him when a claim is granted. The verso makes it clear, however, that he expected it to be a worthwhile sum. In a printed (but hand-signed) letter addressed to postmasters, he requests that his circular be prominently posted in their offices, in exchange for which he promises to pay two dollars for every successful claim processed for someone in their local area, with an additional ten percent of his fee offered for more difficult (and thus more lucrative) cases. Not located in OCLC.
Four original mounted albumen photos, 5.5 x 8.5 inches, part of a series of six by Fresno-based photographer F.M. Stiffler, with his stamp on the backs. In good condition only - all with some light soiling, one with a chipped corner, and one that was creased from bending and then reinforced on the back with non-archival tape. One photo has explanatory text from the photographer on the verso, proclaiming that "The rabbit drive which so fitly terminated the exercises of the encampment of the Grand Army of the Republic in Fresno on March 10, 1892, was one of the most successful and picturesque ever had in California, more than 5000 people being on the ground and about 20,000 rabbits having been driven into the corral and slain." This is followed by a brief description of the content of each of the six photos in the series. The 1892 Fresno drive was one of approximately 200 rabbit drives held in California in the late 1880s and 1890s that resulted in the death of an estimated half-million rabbits. As increasing numbers of people moved into the San Joaquin valley and began cultivating land on which jack rabbits were abundant, it became necessary to protect the new orchards, vineyards, and fields. The idea of driving rabbits into corrals where they could be easily killed apparently had origins in native American societies. This series of images captures different stages of this brutal--but evidently quite popular--process. We find few holdings for any of these images in OCLC, and no institution appears to have more than two from the series. .
Post bound black buckram album measuring 12 x 17 inches (oblong), containing five original architectural drawings, one blueprint, and three original architect's renderings in color of the outside of the building and two of its interior spaces (the lobby and roof garden). At the front is an oversized reproduction of a letter dated August 11, 1922, from the Title Insurance & Trust Company of Los Angeles, agreeing to administer a trust related to the sale of office space in the building. All of these items are interleaved with black paper and are in very good condition. The Westlake Professional Building (now Macarthur Park Medical Plaza, 2007 Wilshire Blvd) was designed by San Jose architect Charles S. McKenzie for a group of investors calling themselves the Wholesale Properties Corporation. The structural engineers were L.A.-based Noice & Merrill, and the contractors were Wallace & Bush. According to the 2009 Intensive Survey of the Westlake Recovery Redevelopment Area, the building was "one of the earliest extensions of the medical community to Wilshire Boulevard" and "had special amenities for medical professionals, including gas, electric, and vacuum outlets in each suite, circulating ice water, and compressed air." A 1923 issue of Building and Engineering News reports the cost of construction as $350,000. The hand-drawn architectural renderings in particular offer a unique record of the original vision for this building, which has been a mainstay of the Los Angeles medical community for nearly a century.
Sacramento: Press of H.S. Crocker, 1893. 6 x 9.25 inches,  pp, in original color lithographed wrappers. Chipping to spine, light soiling and handling wear; about very good. Due to competition from the World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago, attendance was expected to be down at the 1893 California State Fair. In order to boost their numbers, the fair board decided to try something new. As explained in that year's annual report for the fair, they created "an auxilliary display in the shape of a representation of the Roman Circus Maxiumus, in commemoration of olden times. Therein was given a vivid illustration of ancient Roman games, arranged not only as an historical event, but educational to a great degree, because presenting, for the edification of all, many of the practices and customs so often referred to in Roman history, where man's vigor, as well as valor, was tried in numerous ways. In this we were aided by a representative class of citizens composing the Sacramento Athletic Club...who labored without pay to make the exhibition the splendid success it was." The program contains some wonderful half-tone photographs of the performers, much local advertising, the text of two odes by Horace and the "Ode of the Gladiators" written by Mrs. Douglas Adam (and, when performed, accompanied by music written for the occasion by H.J. Stewart of San Francisco). There is also a lengthy cast list, crediting the roles of standard bearers, mounted swordsmen, Roman soldiers, laureled victors, musicians, lictors, sacrifants, incense burner, cymbal dancers, and dancing girls. OCLC lists one copy, at the California State Library.
San Francisco: Henry Grobe, 1917. Sheet music. 10.5 x 13.5 inches, 5 pp. Old dampstaining to back wrapper, abrasion to upper corner front wrapper, partial split at spine; good. An example of the Indianist movement in American classical music, this composition was based on a text and melody transcribed by ethnomusicologist Natalie Curtis (in The Indians Book, 1907). San Francisco composer Carlos Troyer added a piano accompaniment he described as a "drum imitation." The cover reproduces an 1886 C.S. Fly photograph of Geronimo on the Warpath owned by Charles Lummis, who supplied a short introductory essay titled "Geronimo, The Apache Prophet." Also printed on the cover is the dedication, "To Mrs. Rita Breeze of Los Angeles, California." Breeze was a librettist who collaborated with Troyer on several projects. Sarber 283. 5 copies located in OCLC.
Chicago: C.F. Gates, 1886. 5.75 x 3 inches, 10 pp, accordion folded pamphlet. Some creasing; very good. The main body of this densely printed text reprints an article from "The Interior" by Kelsey, a Lake Forest University Professor. He argues for the need for mission work among Chicago's Bohemian (i.e., Czech) population, which was estimated to number 35,000 at the time, most of whom were very recent immigrants. He reports that most Bohemians are living in a neighborhoof in which sanitary conditions are "wretched" and "vice and crime are shockingly prevelant," yet "the Bohemians are, as a rule, industrious and law-abiding" and "spend far less on drink than some other classes of foreigners among us." That said, "their religious condition is most pitiable" and "must be helped or they will suffer. They need not simply ministering of physical and spiritual wants, they need sympathy and encouragement in good works." Kelsey's call to action is reinforced in the remainder of the pamphlet by Gates, who deems the Bohemians "industrious, intelligent...economical and thrifty" people who should be educated on American principles and converted to Christ before they "lose whatever sympathy they have with us" and become "a menace to our civilization and all that we hold dearest." Not found in OCLC.
Nineteen unused b/w postcards, all captioned in the negative, clear, and in very good condition. Captions label the location as "Canp 'Iowana'" (presumably an informal name reflecting the presence of many Iowans) and as "Co. 1750." According to Hard Work and a Good Deal, The Civilian Conservation Corps in Minnesota, "Company 1750 opened the Lake City Camp on June 18, 1933, near Wabasha, on the Mississippi River," so we presume this is the Lake City Camp, which was primarily involved in agricultural soil conservation projects. This collection includes images of the camp's facilities, which, with the exception of a root house built into a small hill, seem to have been entirely tent-based -- including general housing, "Officer's Row," Headquarters, the First Aid Tent, and the cooking tent. There are also many good images men engaged in daily activities, including bathing, washing dishes, lining up for meals, getting first aid, lying on their cots, and standing around watching a snake. In all, good, candid documentation of daily life at this camp in the early 1930s.
Charlestown: Printed by C. Rand & Co, 1857. Only edition. 33 pp, in original printed wrappers. Chipping, wrappers partially detached from spine, tape repairs to verso of front wrapper; good. Scarce pamphlet, apparently published by the accused for the purpose of clearing his good name. Thomas M. Crossan (1819-1865) was a career naval officer for 21 years, 12 of which were spent mostly at sea. He saw active service during the Mexican War. In June 1857 he was accused by a superior officer of being drunk while on duty. This pamphlet includes the proceedings of the resulting court martial, in which he was acquitted, as well as an introduction in which he criticizes the court martial process in general, arguing that it allows for abuses of power. Two copies located in OCLC, at the Navy Department Library and the Massachusetts State Library.
Philadelphia: Barclay & Co. Presumed first edition (title page undated, copyright 1875; a later issue had a copyright date of 1881). 95 pp, with nine wood-engraved plates. Lacking rear wrapper, otherwise complete. Front wrapper is chipped around the edges and has a stain measuring about .75 x 1.25 inches. Good. Although most of the sensational crime pamphlets published by Barclay were based on actual events, we find no evidence that Anson Bunker was a real person. The 1870 murder of philanthropist and investor Benjamin Nathan was real, however, and remained (and remains) unsolved. This pamphlet may have been commissioned by Barclay for the publicity boost associated with "solving" a notorious crime. It purports to be memoir by Bunker himself, discovered on his dead body after he was savagely murdered and dumped in--of all places--a cave in the lava beds of far northern California. Several gruesome murders are described in typically graphic detail, allegedly perpetrated by Bunker in the course of a crime spree across that took him across the United States, with action in New York, Philadelphia, Chicago, St. Louis, New Orleans, and San Francisco, among other places. At the end, Bunker finds himself in Utah, where he learns "that there was a league between the Mormons and most of the Indian tribes, extending throughout the United States among a class of people known as Free Lovers. The object to be attained by the League was the overthrow of the U.S. government. Enthusiastic about this idea, Bunker heads off to confront the Modoc leader Captain Jack in order to gain the cooperation of the Modoc people in this plan. Evidently it did not go well -- thus his death in a lava cave." Flake 3637a. Not in McDade.
[Minneapolis]: Thompson Yards, Inc, 1916. Broadside, 20.75 x 9.75 inches. Old folding creases, a few short, closed tears at margins; very good. Minneapolis-based company Thompson Yards tells farmers that diversification in agriculture is the road to wealth -- urging them to buy silos on credit on the grounds that they can’t go wrong if they raise cattle while growing alfalfa and a variety of grain crops. In the 1880s and 1890s, the Dakotas had been widely promoted by land agents as ideal for growing wheat, and many had settled there convinced their fortunes would be made by the crop. But Dakota farmers had suffered greatly when their wheat crops were devastated by disease (“black rust”) or excessive heat. While this broadside may read as an advertiser’s hype (which it is), it was not entirely wrong – in the first decades of the twentieth centuries Dakota farmers had success growing oats, corn, barley, rye, flax, sugar beets, sunflowers, potatoes, and other crops. With demand high from the Allies during the start of World War I, such crops did briefly lead to wealth. But farmers also borrowed heavily as they rushed to expand, and many could not repay their debts when demand declined after the war and drought conditions returned.
Cincinnati: Looker, Reynolds & Co. Printers, 1819. First Edition. Hardcover. Good+. 12mo, 312 pp, in contemporary calf binding with black spine label. Some rubbing to corners and joints, old dampstaining and foxing to the text, but still quite sound and presentable. Wagner Camp (15a): The major portion of the work deals with the states and territories on the east of the Mississippi River, from Alabama to Michigan and the Northwest Territory. There are, however, chapters devoted to Louisiana, Texas (at the time still part of New Spain), "Arkansaw" Territory, Missiouri Territory, and "Sketches of the Country Watered by Columbia and Its Tributary Streams." Howes D-47, Graff 997, Sabin 18408, Streeter Sale 840.
New York: A.O. Moore, 1859. Sixth edition, enlarged, revised, and newly illustrated. Octavo, 576 pp, with index, 34 plates, and additional illustrations in the text. Publisher's green cloth with blind-stamped decoration on the boards, gilt spine. Lower corners rubbed, spine gilt somewhat dulled, a bit of foxing to last few leaves, otherwise quite clean; very good. First published in 1841, this was one of the most important and influential nineteenth-century books on garden design. It includes sections on the history and general principles of landscape gardening, deciduous and evergreen ornamental trees, vines and climbing plants, walking paths, water features, architectural and floral embellishments, and the relation between landscape and different styles of rural architecture. The supplement, which updates the book with developments in landscape gardening subsequent to Downing's death in 1852, touches on recently designed American parks, including New York's Central Park, Llewellyn Park in Orange, New Jersey, and Clinton Park and Botanic Garden in Clinton, New York.
Two-page handwritten letter on lined paper (8" x 10"), approximately 500 words, dated March 16, 1882. Some staining, but fully legible; accompanied by original stamped envelope addressed to Cora L. Harris of Valley Hill, Mississippi. Intense spring rain storms beginning on February 19, 1882, and coming in a second wave late in the month led to flooding that left thousands homeless and has been described as "probably the most destructive flood in the recorded history of Mississippi River overflow." In this letter, written two weeks after the worst of it, John (apparently Cora's suitor) writes from Greenwood, Mississippi to report that he is unable to visit because everything is still under water: "I have been nearly crazy to come out & see you but it has been almost impossible for me to get off. I had to go up home last week. Found the place completely under water & I fear I will loose a good deal of our stock. Found several of the familes moved off the place but didn't better themselves much....Very little dry land to save the stock. A great many above shipped their horses & mules off on the boat & lost most of their cattle. The boat had about 300 head of mules & horses when it went down. Last I heard, up above, that it was 5 feet higher than ever known before. The water here is about 6 inches higher than ever known before. There is not a particle of land out in town. It likes about 6 inches of being in our house....Nearly everybody has moved from their houses. There is about 5 families in the court house & 20 head of cattle tramping around the court house." The scope of this flood resulted in new cooperation among various counties in the region to develop better flood control planning and led to the creation of the Yazoo-Mississippi Delta Levee District.
[New York]: Printed for the Society, 1875. First Edition. pp 11, . Disbound from a larger volume, otherwise very good. Founded in 1873 by social reformer Anthony Comstock (under the auspices of the YMCA), the New York City Society for the Suppression of Vice monitored the compliance of New York State with state laws regarding morality and what they deemed to be obscenity. "The society crusaded against pornography and persuaded Congress to pass federal legislation, known as the Comstock Act, making illegal the transportation and delivery of “obscene, lewd, or lascivious” materials....Culling the mail for improper materials, Comstock and his colleagues later claimed that they had destroyed 160 tons of obscenity" (First Amendment Encyclopedia). In the course of their work, the Society came into frequent public conflict with progressive social reformers who sought to educate the American public about sexual health and contraception, prominent writers whose work they tried (sometimes successfully) to censor, and booksellers who sold those books. They targeted the work of Theodore Dreiser, James Joyce, George Bernard Shaw, Erskine Caldwell, Oscar Wilde, and many others. After explaining that the Society "was forced into existence by the enormity and the insidiousness of the evil it is intended to counteract," this report reviews the Society's first two years of operation, proudly offering a table recording fines levied; people arrested; prison sentences; and books, newspapers, circulars, photographs, negatives, and printing plates seized and destroyed.
Albany: Charles Van Benthuysen & Sons, 1880. First Edition. Hardcover. Very good. 8vo, 96 pp, with nine mounted heliotype prints by George Barker, a folding view "ideal view of the American Rapids, after the Village Shore and Bath Island and restored according to the proposed plan," six folding maps, and additional facsimiles and engravings. Printed presentation slip from Gardner tipped in. Original green cloth boards are lightly soiled, all else very good or better. The three maps related to the Falls are: Map Showing the Recession of Niagara Falls; Topographical Map of the Region About Niagara Falls Showing the Proposed State Reservation," and "Part of the Original Property Map of Niagara Falls Village, showing the lots and streets included in the proposed State Reservation." Concerns about the preservation of Niagara Falls had begun to emerge in the late 1860s, as industrialists situated power plants along the shoreline and entrepreneurs bought up land so they could charge visitors for a view. Frederick Law Olmsted was one of the leaders of the "Free Niagara" movement, which urged New York State to take control of the Falls so the natural beauty of the surrounding land could be protected from commercial interests and exploitation and remain free and open to the public. This report, authored in part by Olmsted, was commissioned by the State to survey current conditions and make recommendations on what should be done. As anticipated, the report concluded that "we find its treasures in the grasp of money-getters, and its sacred groves assailed by the axes of the mill-man of desecrated by the purveyor of public amusements; and are convinced that destruction of the scenery will be swift and certain unless the all-powerful State shall appear as the preserver of Niagara." The recommendations of Gardner and Olmstead, along with Barker's compelling photos of area's natural beauty and the development along the shoreline, helped turn the tide of both public opinion and rouse state bureaucrats into action. Niagara Falls State Park -- America's oldest state park -- was established in 1885.
Fargo, ND: Walker Brothers Printers, . 5 x 7.5 inches, 13 pp + sketch map, with illustrations from photographs. Wrappers partially detached, some dampstaining; good only. The 2,325-acre Helendale Stock Farm was created in 1875 by James Buel Power (1833-1912), the first Land Commissioner of the Northern Pacific Railway and its General Agent for the Minnesota and Dakota division. After he retired, he became director of the North Dakota Board of Agriculture, served on the Board of Trustees (and for a two years as Acting President) of the North Dakota Agricultural College, and was elected to the North Dakota House of Representatives. Six years after his death, his executors put the farm on the market to settle the estate and published this booklet to advertise the property. It provides details on the yields of various crops grown on the farm, touts the attributes of the livestock raised there (shorthorn cattle, sheep, horses, and Yorkshire hogs), describes the twelve-room farmhouse and many outbuildings, and offers terms for financing. Not located in OCLC.
Thirty-two 6" x 8" gelatin silver photographs mounted to both sides of black cardstock leaves, string-tied, with new black paper covers added. Undated, but the year 1920 appears on a chalkboard in one image. Pencil writing in a hard-to-decipher language—possibly Lithuanian—on first image, otherwise clean. Images are very clear and appear professional. The Sisters of Mercy—an international Catholic women’s association dedicated to helping those in need—established the Baltimore City Hospital School of Nursing in 1899. They offered a rigorous three-year training program with classes taught by experienced nurses and by professors from the nearby College of Physicians & Surgeons. The school quickly drew large numbers of applicants and needed a place for them all to live. They soon constructed a “spacious home of modern engineering and equipment” that offered “more than 100 sleeping rooms which are well lighted and ventilated, spacious parlors, library, lecture room, study and recreation halls” (Costello, Sisters of Mercy of Maryland). Some of the images in this album appear to show parts of the nurses’ home (a courtyard, parlor, and dining room), while others show nursing student in the classroom, learning to make a hospital bed, assisting during surgery, working in the pharmacy and the kitchen, tending babies in the maternity ward, and ministering to the sick and wounded. A valuable record of the lives of nursing students at this school, of which little visual documentation seems to remain.
Album containing eleven 7"x 9" professional linen-backed photographs showing the process and results of installing new street lights along a main commercial thoroughfare in Hamilton, Ohio. Hamilton is the county seat of Butler County, about 20 miles north of Cincinnati. In the early twentieth century, “the town was a heavy manufacturing center for vaults and safes, machine tools, cans for vegetables, paper, paper making machinery, locomotives, frogs and switches for railroads, steam engines, diesel engines, foundry products, printing presses, and automobile parts” (wiki). The photos show wide streets lined with businesses which, with the advent of increased automobile traffic, were undoubtedly eager for the most modern and effective methods of illumination. A wonderful set of facing night views shows how much brighter the new lights are. An additional 16 snapshots photos are laid into the album, most showing people posing with what appear to be temporary streetlights. Five were taken in front of the office of the Electric Railway Equipment Co. of Cincinnati, which may have supplied some of the equipment used to install the new lights.