Los Angeles: Naturopathic Institute and Sanitarium of California, Inc., n.d., but ca. 1920.
Tri-fold pamphlet formed from a single sheet, 3.75 x 8.5 inches when folded, printed on both sides in blue on white semi-gloss paper. Creasing and light rubbing; good or better.
Dr. Carl Schulz (1839-1935), the "Father of Naturopathy in California," emigrated to the United States and began practicing medicine in California in 1885. He wrote and led the fight for passage of the first law to license naturopathic doctors in the United States, enacted in 1907. Along with his brother Dr. Edward Schultz, he founded the Association of Naturopaths of California (ANC), and established the second school in the United States to educate physicians under the name “naturopathy.” He served from 1905 until his death as President of the Naturopathic Institute & Sanitarium and the Naturopathic College of California. This scarce brochure bromotes the Sanitarium, which was located on St. Paul Avenue between Sixth and Orange in Los Angeles. There patients could receive the benefits of "the healing power of nature" through diet, fresh air, hydrotherapy, electric light baths, massage, and chiropractic adjustment. Each of these offerings is described here, as are the qualifications of Dr. Schultz and the "spotlessly clean, homelike, and attractive" appearance of the facilities. To keep it that way, they politely declined to serve to those with "contagious and obnoxious diseases."