[New York]: Printed by Snowden for the Box Office of the Opera House, 1851.
First Edition. Softcover. Very good. Libretto for the Italian version of this opera (first performed in French), with English translation on facing pages. 59 pp, in original printed wrappers. Split in paper at base of spine, light creasing to wrappers, scattered light foxing. Catering to a largely wealthy clientele, the Astor Place Opera House opened on November 22, 1847, with a production of Verdi’s Ernani. Max Maratzek was hired as its manager in 1848. In 1849, it was the site of a notorious riot, from which the theater never recovered, closing permanently by 1853. The magnificent building became home to the New York Mercantile Library.