Santa Rosa, Cal. Sonoma Democrat Publishing Company, 1896.
First Edition. 34 pp, illustrated, in original pale orange wrappers printed in black and red. Toning and light dust soilng at edges of wrappers, all else very good. "Fort Ross was established by the Russian-American Fur Company in 1812 for the threefold purpose of exploiting the rich fur hunting grounds of the California coast, opening trade with Spanish California, and providing an agricultural depot to supply Russian settlements in Alaska....In 1839, because of the great excess of costs over revenue in maintaining the fort, the company leased the southern coastal strip of southeastern Alaska to the Hudson's Bay Company, which agreed to furnish the Russian Alaskan settlements with agricultural commodities produced on its Columbia River farms. In 1841, John A. Sutter purchased Fort Ross for $30,000 in cash and a specified amount of agricultural products over the succeeding 4 years. The last Russians withdrew in January 1842" (National Park Service). Cowan (p. 229) calls Thompson's work "the most complete account of this phase of early settlement." Howes T-201 (noting that 700 copies were printed); Graff 4136; Rocq 14871.