Cattle Brands of Baja California Sur 1809-1885 Los Registros de Marcas de Baja California Sur
Los Angeles: Published for the Archivo Historico de Baja California Sur Pablo L. Martinez, La Paz by Dawson's Bookshop, 1978.
Hardcover. Near fine. Baja California Travels Series number 40. 78 pp, green cloth boards illustrated in red; no dust jacket. Slight rubbing to lower corners and foot of spine, else fine. The first permanent mission in Baja California was established at Loreto in 1697. It had a herd of 30 cattle, the first permanent ranch in the region Over time, granting of lands for secular cattle ranching grew. The method of ranching involved semi-feral cattle being permitted to browse freely over great expanses. The existence of these large herds of feral stock, and the evident value of livestock raising as an economic base for Baja California Sur, led to the order of gerneral roundups and the establishment of directly controlled herds by Politcal Chief Luis del Dstillo Negrete in 1838. As a result of this reulation, branding became necessary to establish ownership and prevent the rustling of stock; thus, as may be seen from the regestries published in this volume, by mid-century the branding of livestock had become universal in the district of La Paz. This volume illlustrates the brands as recorded in various documents from 1842 to 1885.