San Francisco, CA: Sierra Club, 1914.
First Edition. Soft cover. Very Good. 17-page article with a map a 6 b/w plates, part of a single issue of the Sierra Club Bulletin. Edges chipped, "Mountaineers" stamps on cover and first page; else clean. Describes a 1913 hiking expedition made by 102 members of the Mountaineers hiking club up the Elwha River, across Low Divide and down the Quinault watershed. Founded in 1906, the Mountaineers played a primary role in opening the interior of the Olympics to recreational hiking. Starting in 1907, they made repeated summer outings, working cooperatively with the Forest Service to build trails. Following the expedition described here, the club resolved "to investigate the matter of the construction of club lodges and mountain shelters." Theodore Roosevelt had declared the area around Mount Olympus a National Monument in 1909; an expanded Olympic National Park was created in 1938. This issue also includes Leconte's article "Scambles About Yosemite," which recounts five weeks spent hiking and climbing, including some previously unexplored routes.