Philadelphia: Lilienfeld Bros. Steam Power Printers, .
Softcover. Good. 36 pp, with 3 illustrations from photographs, many ads. Original stapled wrappers have chipping and internal tape repairs and are detached from text block; internals very good. Not found in OCLC. The Pannonia Beneficial Organization was founded in 1896 through the merger of three existing Jewish benevolent societies, all of which had been formed between 1882 and 1894, a period during which thousands of Russian Jewish immigrants settled in Philadelphia. The Home for Jewish Orphans, located at the corner of Tenth and Bainbridge Streets, was one of Pannonia’s first projects. This pamphlet offers a brief history of the organization, lists its officers and board members and those of the Young Men’s Hebrew Union and Women’s Auxiliary, and urges “every Jewish heart in Philadelphia” to “rejoice over the colossal achievement of the Jewish community in the founding, in so short a space of time, of an institution which shelters its fatherless and motherless children.” The publication appears to have served its fundraising purpose well, as it carries advertisements from more than 75 local businesses.