Nueva York: Polhemus y Compania, 1901.
First Edition. Title continues: Tomadas, por parte de México, Bajo la Dirección del Ingeniero Jacobo Blanco, Jefe de la Sección Mexicana de la Comisión Internacional de Limites que Restablecio los Monumentos en Anos de 1892 a 1895. 11 x 14 inches, oblong, in original black cloth with red leather spine and corners, marbled edges and endpapers. Title stamped in gilt on upper board and spine. Also designated "Vol. III" on spine. Front board and first few leaves detached (but present), rear hinge cracked. Text block otherwise sound and quite clean. Good. Title page and one-page introduction by Blanco are followed by 258 b/w half-tone plates showing all of the monuments along the U.S./Mexico border from El Paso to the Pacific. Many of the images include the surveyors and their equipment. "In the 1870s and 1880s, land ownership and border disputes broke out when valuable natural resources were discovered near the United States-Mexican border. The International Boundary Commission, which set out in 1891, consisted of two main parties, one from the U.S. and one from Mexico. John Whitney Barlow and Jacobo Blanco, respectively U.S. and Mexican commissioners, met at El Paso in February 1892 to begin the work. Their instructions were to resurvey the border line, locate and rebuild the old monuments, and install additional markers as necessary" (Smithsonian). This album is the Spanish-language equivalent (with the same plates) of "Report of the Boundary Commission Upon the Survey and Re-Marking of the Boundary Between the United States and Mexico West of the Rio Grande, 1891-1896: Album," published by the U.S. Government Printing Office in 1899.