Tacoma: Cromwell Printing Company, 1891.
Softcover. Good. 5.25" x 3.25", 13 pp, in original stapled wrappers. Staples rusted, text detached from wrapper, moderate soiling; good. A rare consumer information pamphlet from the Tacoma Light and Water Company, which was founded in 1884 by Charles B. Wright, President of the Northern Pacific Railroad. Having acquired a franchise from the City Council to provide drinking water and electricity in Tacoma, Wright built wooden flumes w from Spanaway Lake and Clover Creek, which filled a reservoir at Hood Street. This booklet opens with a reminder to both consumers and their architects, contractors, plumbers, etc., that the Company must inspect and approve all work done on pipes and fixtures before water can be turned on, and that such work must conform to the rules and regulations printed on the following pages. Several pages of regulations are followed by a list of monthly water rates for baths, water closes, urinals, and hose at residences and a range of different businesses, from laundries to saloons. Tacoma Light and Water operated privately until 1893, when it was purchased by the City of Tacoma for $1.75 million and re-named Tacoma City Light. We find no copies of this booklet in OCLC, and only one example of another publication from the company, issued in 1892.